New to the forum

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Mandy
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

New to the forum

Post by Mandy »

Hi thought I would intraduce myself, I'm gardening mad, my front garden is a cottage garden and the back is tropical, just bought my first little collection of cacti and succulates don't ask me there names , haven't got a clue they didn't have name tags on them so that's where you come in, I have joined the forum to help me get to no all about looking after them.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: New to the forum

Post by Keith H »

Hi Mandy, welcome to the forum.
If you post some photos of your new plants I am sure you will get names and hints / tips for their care.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

Will do I will take some pics tomorrow, thankyou
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

Here we go.
14865653668491994459412.jpg
1486565264324-1629798071.jpg
1486565221606-1650926539.jpg
Andyh
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Andyh »

For the aloes I would suggest Aloe distans ? (Jewelled aloe)on right, Aloe humilis (spider aloe) with flower bud, and Aloe variegata on left. Beautiful plants. Lovely healthy plants. Spider aloe spreads and is easy to propagate from cuttings. Hope someone can name cacti!
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

Thank you for your reply,, there's a little garden centre near me in Castleford and she's got quite a few , but all without names,I will be going back for more there all very healthy plants.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Of the cactus photos, the plant on the right of the two-plant photo is a mammillaria; I'm not sure of the species. The single spherical cactus in the final photo looks like Echinocactus grusonii. And by the way, welcome to the forum.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

Thank you rod, for the names I like to no what all my plants are called, that's great. I have a big recycle project happening next month which will be turning a koi pond into a large cacti and succulent greenhouse. The pond is fibreglass ed and 5ft deep, but 3ft is above ground as you can see we close it in over winter because it's heated. After many years of keeping fish where calling it a day hence the greenhouse idea.
1486631666155-1497441767.jpg
14866315993611042455528.jpg
1486631555386-1177892722.jpg
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

We will be filling it in 2ft to ground level then keeping the pegola up and glassing the rest in, the roof is polycarbonate sheeting so I'm thinking of leaving that as it is, what do you think?
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

Mandy wrote:We will be filling it in 2ft to ground level then keeping the pegola up and glassing the rest in, the roof is polycarbonate sheeting so I'm thinking of leaving that as it is, what do you think?

Sounds like a great plan, you already have have the makings of a fine greenhouse.

I expect the polycarbonate roof will be good assuming it is UV protected and has not gone milky with age.

Good to see you posted pictures of your plants even though I can not add to the identifications.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554