Hello

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
StephOx
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello

Post by StephOx »

Hi all! Newbie here. 25 from Glasgow, always liked the Unusal look of cacti and succulents, my first, took a while to figure out what it was, was a Crassula (Gollum?) got it about 7/8 years ago
now. Image

I have several others now hawthoria, aloe, and one I grew from seed that was meant to be a succulent but turned out to be a cactus of some sort.
And some others I'm not sure of the names. Looking to expand my knowledge on different types and find ones I'd like to grow from seed.
Looking forward to reading tips etc [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Re: Hello

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi welcome. I'm a newbie too. I'm no expert but the cactus looks like Opuntia Ficus-Indica. I have some seedlings exactly the same. Debbie
anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by anders »

More likel
Cactusgirl wrote:the cactus looks like Opuntia Ficus-Indica
Not Opuntia (wrong shape, no leaves), probably an epiphyte like Hylocereus.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum, StephOx. I agree with Anders, the cactus is definitely not an opuntia but one of the epiphytic species that has different needs from the traditional cactus species. Your crassula looks to be in pretty good condition.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
StephOx
Registered Guest
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by StephOx »

Thanks for the warm welcomes, What kind of needs would this one require? Also, The first set leaves that have formed at the base, do I cover it with soil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

StephOx wrote:Thanks for the warm welcomes, What kind of needs would this one require? Also, The first set leaves that have formed at the base, do I cover it with soil?
Don't cover the first set of leaves with soil. If you leave them they will wither away of their own accord. I don't grow any of the epiphytic cacti but this web page should put you on the right track:
http://www.cactusnursery.co.uk/epiphytes.htm
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.