Hi from Somerset

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
kathpov
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hi from Somerset

Post by kathpov »

I started with Lithops a few months ago and have my first seedlings, now 4 months old.
I lived in SA for 32 years and had never heard of them before now. I have been in the UK since 1999.
I did research Lithops quite extensively before buying any and they seem to be happy. Most of them are getting new leaves now ( I bought a few 2 year old's 6 weeks ago) I hope to try conophytums at some point when I get back from SA. I have learnt a lot on these forums and would love to see how other members in my area look after them.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Hi from Somerset

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum kathpov, there are a number of Lithops enthusiasts here so I'm sure you will find plenty to interest you. Enjoy your plants!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum, Kath. I hope your plants do well. As Juster has said, there are plenty of lithops growers on the forum so you will not be short of advice, if you need any.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

kathpov wrote:I started with Lithops a few months ago and have my first seedlings, now 4 months old.
I lived in SA for 32 years and had never heard of them before now.
You also never heard the term vygies?
I don't know how common that word is throughout the whole of South Africa.
kathpov

Post by kathpov »

Thank you Rod and Juster. I know vygies very well. I didn't realise they were related. :-) I am flying to SA on Saturday so will definitely be shopping for seeds for Lithops and Conophytums. I have 33 Lithops over 2 years old, a few seedlings so well on my way but will be asking for advice. My first 10 Lithops I bought from a lovely man in Holland and he sent 17 lovely healthy plants. 5 I bought from another lovely man from yorkshire. All of the 22 were well labelled which was handy. 12 I bought at a nursery. Generally in good condition but a tad over watered. One of the big ones has 4 very fat leaves so I am keeping him dry as I am the rest of them. Most are producing new leaves at the moment. I am loving it.