Newbie in Walsall

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
BryanW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Newbie in Walsall

Post by BryanW »

Hi all, name is Bryan (53) and I'm more or less a total novice when it comes to cacti and succulents.

I've always liked gardening but due to ill health I've had to resort to being an armchair gardener and supervisor to my partner (she loves weeding and hacking plants with secateurs to within an inch of life, she's a chop it and see kind of woman).

I have several other hobbies that keep me occupied indoors but alas the green finger started itching badly and after watching Terry Smale on GW back in October I became fascinated with Mesembs (I think my name in the middle of Mesembryanthemum clinched the deal)

My main interests are Lithops & other small Mesembs, I may have gone a bit OTT as a newbie but I've already collected a fair few Lithops via e-bay (approx 85 plants) and a few young plants of other species of mesemb. I've decided to hold back on buying for now as I've already run out of room on my South-East window sills.
I've purchased a few LED grow lights and I'm currently contemplating whether or not to buy or build a grow box for indoors.
I've already encountered the dreaded mealy bugs en-masse after buying someone's Lithops collection but after reading the information on these forums I hope I have eradicated them for now and have repotted the cleaned plants, so only time will tell.
I've become a member of MSG and BCSS this year, it's the first time I've ever Joined a club or society of any description but I have a thirst for knowledge :mrgreen: and it must be quenched.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Newbie in Walsall

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum, Bryan. You already seem to have built up a very good lithops collection - and a good deal of experience too.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

Hi Rod thanks for the welcome,
I've learned a lot from the BCSS forums and youtube, in my eyes I've a lot more to learn but I know that will come with practical experience and advice from experienced growers and books written by the former. (tu)
BCSS Member 51898
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Bryan. As Rod says, you have certainly made a good start and well done for joining both the BCSS and MSG. Enjoy your plants!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

Hi Juster, thanks for the welcome.
I'm definately enjoying my plants, I certainly won't let my Mrs near them with her secateurs :wink:
BCSS Member 51898