Hi from Reading

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
LexyBoy
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hi from Reading

Post by LexyBoy »

Hello!

I registered on the forum some time ago but as I’ve finally joined the BCSS I thought I’d actually post.

My main interest is in “exotic” plants – those that either give an exotic look in the garden, or are simply unusual, uncommon or curious. Until a couple of years ago I’d not grown any C&S since I was a nipper, excepting two which have survived since then – Agave filifera and Crassula ovata. Then my daughter bought me a cactus for Father’s Day and in trying to identify it I remembered how interesting they are, plus (most dangerously) began to read up on hardiness.

Before long the plan for my soon-to-be redeveloped small front garden went from a Mediterranean look to almost entirely succulent. My interests remain in the hardier plants (I don’t have a greenhouse) but I also have a couple of dozen Echinopsis hybrids which I love for their unashamed gaudiness. In the garden I have perhaps 15-20 species of cacti which are coming through their second or third winters now. I also love Aloe but unfortunately our winters have it in for them and only A. striatula has proven garden-worthy for me, though I have some young A. polyphylla that haven’t been troubled so far.

I’ll post some photos later.

Alex
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Hi from Reading

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Welcome to the forum there is a lot of people in the Greater London area on here but I don't know if they grow stuff outside all year
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
LexyBoy
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE

Post by LexyBoy »

Thanks! Many Readingites wouldn’t appreciate the Greater London label though, as I’m sure those in Leeds wouldn’t like being Greater Manchester :smile:

Some photos as promised. A bit of a random selection as it’s just what I’ve put onto Flickr (click though for more if you like).

Echinocereus arizonicus

Agave ovatifolia

Glad this has gone! Agave montana pretending to be a snowball.

Two years ago, just started and looking more like a cat litter tray than a garden. I should really get a decent overall shot now, though there are still bare gravel patches.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

It's looking good. I hope your plants have all escaped unscathed after the really cold spell.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.