New member in Bromley

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
AnthonyT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY

New member in Bromley

Post by AnthonyT »

Hi all, I came across this site/forum last year while searching for some hardy cacti info!

I have always liked cacti, and some i have had for many years, a few pics below :grin:
most are in a greenhouse which is heated for 6 months of the year, as the plants have to
share it with an african tortoise, who demands most of the floor area!
IMG_3098.JPG
IMG_3099.JPG
IMG_3097.JPG
IMG_3102.JPG
IMG_3100.JPG
Others are in the conservatory

why does it rotate some of the images?!

This is 'Dave' we named it because its so tall it feels like another member of the family standing there!
It, was an off cut from a still taller one that resides elsewhere, and is as such three years old only
IMG_3083.JPG

and this is my work in progress, a recently constructed (Feb 2018) out door cacti and succulent
raised bed, currently with a few, tough as old boots, sempervivums that i had knocking about in
pots outside already and a small aloe aristrata, plus a couple of unknowns!
Soil is a mixture of topsoil, compost, plenty of grit/gravel and sharp sand, loose enough so that after
squeezing a handful in your fist, it still crumbles easily when damp.

Hopefully with many more to go in this year..... if it ever stops raining!!
IMG_3024.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: New member in Bromley

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Anthony, you have some very mature plants there and your new project looks interesting. Don't forget that you are welcome to attend meetings of other branches and Croydon isn't so far away. Tomorrow evening we have a talk on Eriosyce by Graham Evans, an excellent speaker and he will probably bring some plants to sell. Enjoy your plants.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: New member in Bromley

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum, Anthony. You've got some old and well preserved specimens including the tortoise. Cacti and tortoise is an interesting combination, possibly unique among forum members.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.