introducing myself!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Paul Siebold
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

introducing myself!

Post by Paul Siebold »

I am Teversham Paul, I have a Halls 6x12ft greenhouse! I bought in August a lot of cacti in 6cm pots, should I water them now or let them dry off for winter? Thanks!
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: introducing myself!

Post by Tony R »

Welcome to the Forum, Paul.
I generally water cacti until (mid to late) October but it really depends on the weather and the size of pots.
6cm pots will dry out relatively quickly if the weather is warm.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Paul, you will find plenty to interest you here and advice if needed, you have a nice sized greenhouse for your collection. I agree with Tony's advice, but as your pots are quite small, just keep an eye on the plants that they don't look totally shrivelled. Enjoy your plants!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Paul Siebold
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Paul Siebold »

Thank you one and all! I have been TRYING to get on the Forum for ages! Its so SIMPLE! Many thanks to Tony Roberts and Juster for their help! It's a good start for me! I have been ling by trial and error, common sense, and yes I have ENJOYED the flowers, many I never thought I'd see!

I have been a BCSS member since 6.4.2010. And earlier in 1970s though cant remember exactly when! Have been growing cacti since a boy, find them fascinating, the spines, flowers, just the huge variety of them! Up till two years ago its ever been a window sill collection of maybe 15, but then we moved to Teversham and I was able to have my heart’s desire: namely a Hall’s 6x10 ft. greenhouse! Joining the 15 oldies I now have over a 100 cacti! Mammillaria, Gymnocalycium, Rebutia, loads! The flowers have been amazing! Thank you one and all, I look forward to more correspondence!! one happy grower!
Teversham Paul
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Welcome Paul! I agree with Tony's advice, watering is usually continued until about October, depending on overnight temperatures. I find that cacti have a last spurt of growth about now, once summer's heat has died down, so careful watering for another month continues, particularly if your plants are in small pots. Just keep an eye on weather forecasts for the start of cold nights - do you have a heater in your greenhouse? The usual advice is to keep a minimum of 5C overnight through the winter, as most plants are fine with this.

Your enthusiasm is exciting! You'll soon fill your greenhouse with that attitude!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!