Pediocactus knowltonii grafted on Pereskiopsis

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
KathNightingale
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: Pediocactus knowltonii grafted on Pereskiopsis

Post by KathNightingale »

Referring to my previous posts I hope I am not tempting fate by saying that the pediocactus has survived the winter. I've not started watering yet. I have decided to trim the length of the pereskiopsis as the plant looks very much like a lollipop, keeping the pediocactus on the graft as it is.
When would be the best time to do this, please?
And how long should I leave the trimmed plant to callus before I re-pot?
KathNightingale
BCSS Member

Back at the end of April I decided to remove most of the pereskiopsis, leaving about a centimetre of it, with the pediocactus knowltonii attached to the top. My decision was made for me, because the pereskiopsis succumbed to scale insect damage which had also attacked some of my gymnocalyciums, echinopsis, and parodias. I have attacked the horrible little beasties with a variety of potions over the past few months, and, touch wood, I think I have beaten them.
Back to the pediocactus. I left the cut edge of the pereskiopsis to callus for a couple of weeks, then potted it in some dry compost mix.
Nothing happened for ages, and the pediocactus had shrunk to about half its size, so a couple of weeks ago I watered it, just a little. This morning the plant had pushed itself out of the compost. The pereskiopsis had produced a lovely little root! Oh, so much excitement over such a little thing!
I helped it back into the compost very carefully, and have given it another drop of water. Fingers (and everything else) crossed, my pediocactus is on the mend. Just waiting for it to start to grow.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Well done! Let's hope it continues to flourish.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
KathNightingale
BCSS Member

Update on my pediocactus. Its still alive! It has survived its second winter. I watered all my plants, just a little, last Thursday to get them going as some are showing buds. No buds on the pediocactus just yet, maybe it isn't mature enough, but it certainly seemed to have enjoyed its first drink. Our plants are wonderful - they cheer us up in these troubled times.