Hello from Newbury

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
stingray
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hello from Newbury

Post by stingray »

Hello

i'm Helen and I'm a complete novice

I had cacti as a kid, and my Great Uncle gave me a large pillar type cactus, i have no idea what it was. It moved around with me, growing even taller over the years, until sadly it had to lodge with my mum for a few years, and she managed to kill it! 30 years after being given "Norbert", i finally have a nice flat with space for some plants. My housewarming present from my mum was a 3" version or Norbert, and a Mammillaria camptotricha. This had lead to 2 Epiphylum, an Echeveria elegans(?), something else that might be an Echeveria, and another 6 on the way.....

i am hoping i can learn a lot from you all. My husband will be hoping i am not lead into temptation :)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hello from Newbury

Post by el48tel »

Helen
Welcome to the forum.
I'm a novice too.
As for temptation you are probably in the right place. I go hopelessly astray the moment I see cacti ....
I am educating my wife but that's easier than getting treatment for the addiction.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Helen. It sounds as though you are doing very well in acquiring plants, it's amazing how the numbers increase and available space decreases! You will find plenty to interest you here, and it's also worth going along to some of your local branch meetings. Enjoy your plants.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
stingray
Registered Guest

Post by stingray »

:) thank you for the welcome

I will have to look into branch meetings, although that could be dangerous and i may need to start working on smuggling new plants into the flat. window sills, chests of drawers, fire places, tables etc are all supposed to have plants on, aren't they?
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Hello. I grew cacti as a child but didn't take many with me when I left home either.

I have grown a lot of succulents in the garden in recent years but joined to acquire more knowledge. We built a polytunnel this summer to clear our house windowsills but we have managed to fill the house windowsills in a few months since joining, you may end up doing the same. :lol:

I look forward to chatting to you again soon.
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the forum Helen. It is a bit quiet with it being holiday time and out of season for some plants. I agree with Juster, find your local branch and go along, also check for BCSS cactus marts in Spring. These together with local branch will be the best places to learn more and if there is space, purchase more. If space is at a premium you could even try to grow a batch or two from seed. Check out the fantastic BCSS information pack, better than many books on the subject.
stingray
Registered Guest

Post by stingray »

:) it is encouraging to know everybody else fills windowsills, and i envy those with the space to build polytunnels and greenhouses. I already printed out the downloadable info sheets. they are excellent. there's so much more to get around to reading too :)

i have already found so much information that i can trust on here, i will definately be going along to the local club over the next month or two. im quite excited as an epiphylum has sprouted the tiniest bit of something on teh very tip of it's leaf. As a kid, i had no idea epiphylums existed. these days, epiphytes in general fascinate me, and i have been astounded by the photos of epiphytic cacti flowers. I have a great way to fill a few very very boring days at work next week now :) although while trying to learn about these little sprouts, i will also get wonderfully distracted
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Hello! I've just seen your posts and am delighted you've found us to aid and abett your new vice, oops! hobby. You will definitely be led astray. Good, isn't it? Join everything and go to as many shows and meetings as you can. Everyone will be pleased to welcome you and give help and advice. Enjoy!
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...