Hello from Lancashire!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
J23
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER

Hello from Lancashire!

Post by J23 »

Hello all. I've spent some time reading the forums, and I've been keen to get involved. Seems a bit more civilised than Facebook! :lol:

I've been a BCSS member for just over a year, and I am guilty of needing to reinstate this year. I've found the society, and it's members, very friendly and full of useful information. I've also found the hobby to be a particularly slippery slope! I've gone from a handful of succulents and cacti, to triple figures in about 18 months to 2 years. Slowly getting rid of most of my succulents to make way for more cacti. Second year of seed coming on well, and hoping to have a greenhouse up at some point this year, as I'm mostly a windowsill grower, with some larger stuff outside during summer. There's only so much window space, and daylight! I'm particularly keen on Astrophytum, Ariocarpus, Aztekium, Echinopsis, Epiphyllum, Rebutias, and Haworthias. Oddities, monstrose, cristate, and plants with large, or scented bloom.

Looking forward to seeing what you've all been up to, and learning as much as possible along the way. As I say, i find some of the more seasoned growers to be an absolute goldmine of information to a relative newcomer, and I must say the Manchester Branch are a very friendly bunch.

Cheers.
J.
NW England based relative newcomer. Keen to learn!
A decent mix of mostly cacti, with some succulents.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Hello from Lancashire!

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum J, it seems that you have made a good start by going along to your local branch and I'm sure that you have acquired more plants there! Enjoy your plants!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Welcome. Looks like you are hooked on the hobby and already enjoying what you are doing.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MattGibbs
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by MattGibbs »

Glad to hear your positivity and that your enjoying branch activities there. Good luck with your seeds in the growing season!
Bradford Branch Show Secretary
BCSS Zone 3 Secretary
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chez2 »

Hello. I'm more a succulent than cacti grower. We have the house windowsills full but like to grow most plants outside. We have a large polytunnel for the tender ones that can only be out for summer.