Hello from Texas

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
rreynolds
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hello from Texas

Post by rreynolds »

I'm Richard Reynolds. I've been growing cacti for only nine years here in the heart of Texas--Austin. I became interested in cacti many years ago from photographing them in Big Bend National Park, land of Epithelantha bokei, Coryphantha ramillosa, Echinocereus chisoensis, Ariocarpus fissuratus and many others (around 66 species). I built a small cactus greenhouse nine years ago and currently have about 400 or so mature cacti and several hundred seedlings. Weather here makes it tough to grow most cacti outside, what with the high humidity, high summer temperatures, and frequent flooding rains. I mostly grow Chihuahuan Desert cacti and make frequent trips to West Texas to photograph them in habitat. I've enjoyed reading the posts here for several years and now I've joined as an overseas member. Thanks for having me.
Echinocereus chisoensis
Echinocereus chisoensis
[attachment=1]
Attachments
Echinocereus dasyacanthus
Echinocereus dasyacanthus
Richard Reynolds
Mostly cacti of the Chihuahuan Desert, Mexico, and the American Southwest (and a handful of South American species)
rareynolds1000@gmail.com
www.richardreynolds.photoshelter.com
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hello from Texas

Post by Tony R »

A very warm welcome, Richard.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Hello and welcome, it must be great to live in a place near where you can find them in the wild! :grin:
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Welcome Richard! Superb photos, and how lucky are you to be able to make habitat trips!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Richard and lovely photos. It sounds as though you have a great collection, it's always interesting to read about growing in different climates. Look forward to seeing some more photos.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
rreynolds
Registered Guest

Post by rreynolds »

Echinocactus123 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:24 am Hello and welcome, it must be great to live in a place near where you can find them in the wild! :grin:
Thanks Echinocactus123. Whenever I am going through one of our brutal summers, I have to remind myself that that is one of the perks of living in Texas!
Richard Reynolds
Mostly cacti of the Chihuahuan Desert, Mexico, and the American Southwest (and a handful of South American species)
rareynolds1000@gmail.com
rreynolds
Registered Guest

Post by rreynolds »

Tony R wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:09 am A very warm welcome, Richard.
Thank you, Tony.
Richard Reynolds
rareynolds1000@gmail.com
rreynolds
Registered Guest

Post by rreynolds »

Diane wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:36 am Welcome Richard! Superb photos, and how lucky are you to be able to make habitat trips!
Thank you, Diane!
Richard Reynolds
rareynolds1000@gmail.com
rreynolds
Registered Guest

Post by rreynolds »

juster wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:39 pm Welcome to the Forum Richard and lovely photos. It sounds as though you have a great collection, it's always interesting to read about growing in different climates. Look forward to seeing some more photos.
I will certainly post some more, Juster. Thanks for your warm welcome!
Richard Reynolds
rareynolds1000@gmail.com
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome, Richard - and thanks for posting the wonderful photos. I look forward to seeing more.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.