May 2017 - May Blossom
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: December Photo Competition

Post by Liz M »

As it is the 3rd January, could we expect a result on the photo competition soon? I have not got any new photos to put on but I have got a new camera that needs a good workout.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Hi,

Sorry I'm late picking a winner.

It was Noels Euphorbia (Fri 10 Dec) that did it for me. An excellent close up shot with good focus & depth. Well, I just thought it was the most Christmassy one for me. The others were really lovely too & really got me in the festive mood as December progressed.

Perhaps the Society could pick 12 photos from this lot & make them into Christmas cards. A lot of charities sell Xmas cards & the BCSS is a charity. I know I'd buy a couple of boxes.

Cheers
Al
Eveandrea
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Eveandrea »

My congrats to Noel, it is really the most Christmassy of all and a great shot (tu)
(I am sure it is Euphorbia # 2 Al has choosen :wink: )
Eve

Turin - Italy
Devrim
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Devrim »

Congratulations Noel, really beautiful photo.
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Post by Morgans Beauty »

congrats noel (tu)
regards michael
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by sue46 »

Sansman wrote:Hi,

Sorry I'm late picking a winner.

It was Noels Euphorbia (Fri 10 Dec) that did it for me. An excellent close up shot with good focus & depth. Well, I just thought it was the most Christmassy one for me. The others were really lovely too & really got me in the festive mood as December progressed.

Perhaps the Society could pick 12 photos from this lot & make them into Christmas cards. A lot of charities sell Xmas cards & the BCSS is a charity. I know I'd buy a couple of boxes.

Cheers
Al
Sansman I like that idea but instead of Christmas cards what about a calendar? I remember years ago (in the 80s or 90s not sure exactly when) but every year there was an insert in the journal for a German calendar with fantastic photos and English text - I use to purchase one every year and I still have the photos/text in a folder and was sorry when they stopped producing it.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

sue46 wrote:I like that idea but instead of Christmas cards what about a calendar? I remember years ago (in the 80s or 90s not sure exactly when) but every year there was an insert in the journal for a German calendar with fantastic photos and English text - I use to purchase one every year and I still have the photos/text in a folder and was sorry when they stopped producing it.
It's still going :) http://www.kakteen.org/kuaskalender.shtml

The risk of not selling enough and not breaking even probably puts off societies like ours from making calendars, to say nothing of the effort involved for our busy volunteers.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Noel
Registered Guest
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by Noel »

well thanks Al for choosing my pic and you others for your congrats! Assuming I get to choose Januarys subject, having just been dazzled by the winning photos in the BCSS comp in the journal I suggest Up Close And Creative. Good Luck! noel.
Grow Gasterias, Haworthias, Euphorbias and mixed Cacti in West Cork, Ireland
Bill

Post by Bill »

I did suggest the the Society photo competition winners be made into a calender but was told that a calender had been tried in the past and failed.

Bill
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Bill wrote:I did suggest the the Society photo competition winners be made into a calender but was told that a calender had been tried in the past and failed.

Bill

YES, but Christmas Cards with suitably Christmassy looking Cacti & Succulent pictures on them (such as in Dec competition) would surely sell more than Calendars, especially if they were marketed early enough. Al