December Photo Competition

May 2017 - May Blossom
Peter Cupial-Jones
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: December Photo Competition

Post by Peter Cupial-Jones »

Four images from the photo library which I can just about equate to the competition brief :lol:
Cleistocactus ferrarii GC85
Cleistocactus ferrarii GC85
1374D_c_ferrarii (1)533400.JPG (48.1 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
nice Graham Charles cleisto (sadly no longer with me) showing Christmas red and green in the flowers!

The others are to prove that Echinopsis hybrids arent all pale and interesting but some can produce a good christmassy red! All 3 are Schick hybrids
Echinopsis X 'Hot Lips'
Echinopsis X 'Hot Lips'
1459d_xech_hotlips (20)533400.JPG (43.73 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
Echinopsis X 'Temptress'
Echinopsis X 'Temptress'
1494d_xech_temptress (13)533400.JPG (42.67 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
Echinopsis X 'Infinity'
Echinopsis X 'Infinity'
1591d_xech_infinity (17)533400.JPG (38.12 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
As a Christmas bonus all three have nice green stigma!!

Enjoy,
Regards,

Pete

BCSS Macclesfield and East Cheshire
12x8 greenhouse : main interests Echinopsis (incl. Trichocereus, Lobivia etc) hybrids and (because everyone needs a bit of challenge in their lives) Stapeliads!
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by sue46 »

What lovely colours in all this winter snow (tu). I have 2 'Christmas Cacti' and have never had them flower again :sad: Any idea why? One is quite a large plant and I 'rescued' it from school a few years ago as it was being binned (I clean there!) but no sign of flowers. Temp in front room abour 22C at moment and it is on a sideboard away from the window. It will need repotting next year I think. The other smaller one looks abit sad - on kitchen window and gets quite warm but no direct sunlight now. No buds showing on that either. What am I doing wrong :sad:
georged
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by georged »

sue46 wrote:What lovely colours in all this winter snow (tu). I have 2 'Christmas Cacti' and have never had them flower again :sad: Any idea why? One is quite a large plant and I 'rescued' it from school a few years ago as it was being binned (I clean there!) but no sign of flowers. Temp in front room abour 22C at moment and it is on a sideboard away from the window. It will need repotting next year I think. The other smaller one looks abit sad - on kitchen window and gets quite warm but no direct sunlight now. No buds showing on that either. What am I doing wrong :sad:
Sue,
Can you find a shady spot outdoors for the plant next summer. Keep it well watered over the summer. Flower bud formation should be triggered by the cooling temperatures in autumn. Bring the plant indoors at the first sign of buds or before any frosts. This works for me.
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.
Brian M
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Brian M »

Its kindly flowered for Christmas
Its kindly flowered for Christmas
Crassula_Hummels_Sunset_in_flower.JPG (54.79 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
Brian Mudford, Member of Leicester Branch for over 14 years.
sue46
BCSS Member

Post by sue46 »

georged wrote:
sue46 wrote:What lovely colours in all this winter snow (tu). I have 2 'Christmas Cacti' and have never had them flower again :sad: Any idea why? One is quite a large plant and I 'rescued' it from school a few years ago as it was being binned (I clean there!) but no sign of flowers. Temp in front room abour 22C at moment and it is on a sideboard away from the window. It will need repotting next year I think. The other smaller one looks abit sad - on kitchen window and gets quite warm but no direct sunlight now. No buds showing on that either. What am I doing wrong :sad:
Sue,
Can you find a shady spot outdoors for the plant next summer. Keep it well watered over the summer. Flower bud formation should be triggered by the cooling temperatures in autumn. Bring the plant indoors at the first sign of buds or before any frosts. This works for me.
The only place I could put them could be at the front of the house - does not receive any direct sunlight during the day only first thing during spring/summer. Little sheltered as well from heavy rain. Thanks for your advice.
Sheila
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Sheila »

A Christmas bauble perhaps
Lobivia.jpg
And something for a white Christmas
Turbinicarpus.jpg
Sheila
Editor - Cactus and Succulent Review
https://www.cactusandsucculentreview.org.uk
Born in Essex – growing in the world
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Morgans Beauty »

Sheila wrote: And something for a white Christmas
Turbinicarpus.jpg
niiiiicccce one (tu) merry xmas @all
regards michael
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Stunning photographs Sheila. I think this is the winner! Merry Christmas and HNY to all.
Regards
Jane O :innocent:
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

sue46 wrote:I have 2 'Christmas Cacti' and have never had them flower again :sad: Any idea why?
An excellent article in the December Journal :D may help!
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
sue46
BCSS Member

Post by sue46 »

Lindsey wrote:
sue46 wrote:I have 2 'Christmas Cacti' and have never had them flower again :sad: Any idea why?
An excellent article in the December Journal :D may help!
Lindsey I look forward to receiving it - when it arrives :lol: