May 2017 - May Blossom
dalesmatt
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: March Your Favourite plant & what features make it so

Post by dalesmatt »

Just about my favourite plant, and I don't have that many plants just now, is this Euphorbia Crispa, which I have had for about 6 years now. [It came along just before my eldest daughter was born]. I'm not really sure how old it is, and it leads a fairly tough life because I am so afraid to overwater it.

I loved the look of it somehow the first time I saw it. I don't think I'd been particularly bothered about succulents or caudiciforms before but I just loved the shape of the leaves I think.

It also made me start looking for books on the subject so I could learn more about the different types of Euphorbia, so its helped in an educational way too!
Caudiciform Euphorbia
Caudiciform Euphorbia
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Okay, well my favourite plant has to be my "Avatar"!

Mammillaria saboae subsp. goldii for its specially shaped bodies and wonderful flowers, all in such a small plant:
1996-04-27 3171 smallish.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I think my present favourite would have to be Turbinicarpus subterraneus, as with it's peculiar initial pseudo-etiolated growth it looks quite unlike other cacti.
subrerraneus.jpg
subterraneus2.jpg
DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Alan Clark
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Alan Clark »

This Lobivia jajoana has been posted on the site before, but here goes.
Five lovely black eyes!
Lobivia jajoiana2.jpg
Lobivia jajoiana2.jpg (93.37 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
Interested in cacti (particularly Echinopsis, Rebutia, Sulcorebutia, Lobivia, Gymnos and Chamaelobivia), Stapeliads, Sempervivums, and anything else that takes my fancy.
mjhealy
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District

Post by mjhealy »

aloe02.jpg
aloe02.jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
I only have a small collection, but my favourite changes daily.

At the moment I like this one, especially the colours - bluey/green colour of the plant and red prominent teeth.
BCSS Member: Chemlsford Branch
www.michaeljameshealy.com
Victoria
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Post by Victoria »

Tricky to say what my favourite plant is, but I do have a fondness for this Echinopsis (probably eyriesii) which was given to me by my grandma after a neighbour left it outside to die in the snow one winter because it got too big for her kitchen windowsill. The plant is rather old and tatty but it makes a wonderful display of flowers each year for my birthday in July.
Image00001.jpg
Victoria

BCSS Member since 2005. My collection has been somewhat neglected since starting a PhD but I am particularly keen on Crassulaceae, succulent Pelargoniums and South African bulbs.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

This is my favourite because I have grown it for over 22 years and it is a plant one has to love because not many do. Beaucarnia Recuvata. Photo taken last year. The plant was outside for 5 months of the year. The plant is about 36 inches tall from base of caudex to the top of the leaves.
DSCN4186.JPG
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Phil White »

I must confess I regularly forget to view the Photo's thread & having seen Tina's post on the main discussion thread I thought I would post a pic, especially as there seems fewer posts ??
I am not the greatest photographer and surprisingly it is not for the flowers that I generally grow cacti & probably why I gorow just as many succulents i.e. for form. But I thought this Double flowered Mamm. guelzowiana might attract some interest.
It needs a good amount of sunshine to fully open so it is not always like the pic !!
DSC05925s.jpg
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Eveandrea
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Eveandrea »

There are so many absolute lovely plants here that my pic is an outsider, but I owe the posting to this Dioscorea sylvatica. This and an elephantipes started my love for the Dioscoreas. I bought it as a tiny seedling and it resisted to my bad cultivation for well over 20 years :notwo:
DSC_3_1 (Small).jpg
Eve

Turin - Italy
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

Have to admit to a soft spot for these fellas - Pseudolithos
I guess its the form and patterns of the epidermis, but also the challenge of growing and flowering them. These plants were the 'holy grail' and so rare when I first started collecting, I could never have imagined growing them like I do now!
DSCF1042.JPG
DSCF1041.JPG
DSCF1007.JPG