May 2017 - May Blossom
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

JULY Photo Comp - "The Color Purple"

Post by Diane »

To paraphrase the title of a film - this month's competition is "The Color Purple" - show me your PURPLEST flowers, bodies or spines!

Good luck!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: JULY Photo Comp - "The Color Purple"

Post by rodsmith »

I thought we were based in the UK - so why COLOR?
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

rodsmith - if you get angry enough about US misspelling of words you might turn purple - like Veruca Salt at Willie's chocolate factory :shock:
Hedge
BCSS Member

Post by Hedge »

She went blue, but I take the point. (We pedants must unite) On to the topic in hand, here is my Stenocactus labelled Lau species, from Southfield nurseries. It is purple although the camera makes it look pinker than it is.
A.jpg
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Lithos wrote:rodsmith - if you get angry enough about US misspelling of words you might turn purple - like Veruca Salt at Willie's chocolate factory :shock:
I know I'm just a grumpy old man but we get quite enough misspelling with American software and computer operating systems. This is possibly why colour was misspelt; we're so used to it being spelt color on our computer screens. And by the way, I turned purple years ago.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Sorry, Rod, if it offends! I was using the film title which as you know is spelt the American way! (I can be quite pedantic too, but on this occasion made an exception, and don't forget, we do have some very nice Americans on this forum!)
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Bill

Post by Bill »

Spelling words, like colour and Harbour without the u actual pre-dates the usage of the words with the u, as prior to the Norman invasion many words were based on latin, so color and harbor were Latin-English words, however the imposition of French on the English resulted in the u spelling so words like colour and Harbour are Franch-English. The Americans made a concious decision to revert to Latin derived spellings. Same goes for er instead of re as in center for centre.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Hedge
BCSS Member

Post by Hedge »

Bill wrote:Spelling words, like colour and Harbour without the u actual pre-dates the usage of the words with the u, as prior to the Norman invasion many words were based on latin, so color and harbor were Latin-English words, however the imposition of French on the English resulted in the u spelling so words like colour and Harbour are Franch-English. The Americans made a concious decision to revert to Latin derived spellings. Same goes for er instead of re as in center for centre.
"Very interesting, Mr Bond!"
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

I don't know if this qualifies (the name certainly doesn't help)...
Chamaelobivia "Violet"
Chamaelobivia "Violet"
Chamaelobivia_Violet_323_20120616.jpg (162.91 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

Here's my only aeonium, it's currently sat at the back of the greenhouse, I really should go check if it's still alive :grin: Btw, great choice for photo comp subject, it's nice to have one a bit 'outside of the box' (tu)

S1. Aeonium simsii x Zwartkop by McFarland!, on Flickr