May 2017 - May Blossom
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: September 2012 - Too Small for the National

Post by Liz M »

I have been scratching my head trying to find something to put on this month. Finally I thought of this one. When i was in La Gomera in May, I collected a few Aeonium seeds, then sowed them when I got back. To my amazement I ended up with a bowlful, here it is, 95% sure it is Aeonium appendiculatum. The biggest is about 4cms across.
IMG_1656.20001.jpg
Ernie, I have just noticed you put Echeveria 'La Reja' on here. I have got it, I think it must be a form of Echeveria colorata. Do you remember where you got it from? I have had mine for a few years now and it is in a 19cm bowl and is really beautiful.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Hi Liz. I got it via ebay and a dealer trading as Surreal succulents. I could not believe how many bids it attracted, from memory there were around 20 bids from around 8 different bidders. I managed to get it. Probably paid too much however I really like it and am pleased I did.(2011)
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Three more. Taken today in very poor daylight (mid-day!)
DSCN5538.JPG
Last edited by Bill on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please use "Place inline" when posting pictures. Thanks
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Another
DSCN5540.JPG
Last edited by Bill on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Last one
DSCN5539.JPG
Last edited by Bill on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I was expecting a lot more entries as I thought everyone must have plants that were too small for the national.

Chris stretched the theme a bit - does a barely germinated seed count as a plant? Liz has slightly older plants but BCSS rules say only one plant per pot. Fairycastle's cactus was a bit older but it is a green spikey thing (helps if you know the judge's preferences), Bill's Haworthiais more my kind of plant, something that looks a bit different and does not take up too much space but in the end the winning plant had to be one of Ernie's and eventually I decided it is his Crassula tecta - the final decision was not based on the BCSS points system but was done on the basis of which plant would I most like to have...
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Thanks Jim. The story behind that plant; 12 months ago I attended an auction of a collection mainly of Cacti but some succulents. The succulents had been a bit neglected and a large dish of Crassula tecta was for the most part dead. I got it for a couple of pounds and set about taking it apart to find some live material. I managed what you see and two other pieces. I am very pleased they have started to thrive.

I have thought about a subject for this months competition. Considering my main interest is succulents I thought it fair to make it one for the Cactus enthusiasts.