November 2012-"...its a Copiapoa, but which is it"?

May 2017 - May Blossom
Lithos
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Re: November 2012-"...its a Copiapoa, but which is it"?

Post by Lithos »

Where is Decembers fun photo competition for Christmas ? - it was a laugh last year. We have had to put up with the Chileans advice column all last month (note lack of entries) thank you Geoff beautiful photos. I suggest Bill or SK choose.
Last edited by Lithos on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I've sent Geoff a reminder - hopefully he'll see it soon.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Mark k.D
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mark k.D »

No need to get your Euphorbias in a twist Lithos! To be honest I really couldn't care less that you found my choice of subject boring. One of the best things about this forum is how everyone is courteous, no or very few idiots and the plant interests are broad and not to everyones taste. I respect that and think it childish too make sarcastic comments just because you don't like it. Should everyone go through you as mediator for the subjects in case they've too dull? Maybe put that to Bill and Phil.
I'll read posts that are not to my liking just to gain knowledge and not limit my own field of interests. Your comments can only put new comers off who want to join the forum, but maybe thats your way of muscling people out. Surely bullying and trolling is hardly an attractive read on forums. I see you didn't decide to bash Ernie's Ariocarpus photo thread the month before.
I'm happy for you now that you can now dress up your Conophytums with tinsel. Nothing wrong with that in the slightest and its fun. I'm happy to put up with it and keep my gob closed. Merry Xmas. :wink:
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Just wondering, what was wrong with my Ariocarpus competition?
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

who know's Ern - only just found this rant. If it were you and I having a cuddle, would probably be removed - I find it quite hurtful - and the boy can neither spell or construct a sentence. I only ever try to add to the forum - through my drawings - all free for anyone to print, to pictures of plants of interest. Mark.ed. comments on Conophytums - I've never tried to grow one, as for using the word 'trolling' - I find that particularly dumb of him to mention, bandwagon jump for it.
Mark k.D
BCSS Member

Post by Mark k.D »

Ernie wrote:Just wondering, what was wrong with my Ariocarpus competition?
Absolutely nothing! I just mentioned it because I thought mine was a topic along similar lines. I just wanted to know what makes my theme wrong??
Mark k.D
BCSS Member

Post by Mark k.D »

Lithos wrote:who know's Ern - only just found this rant. If it were you and I having a cuddle, would probably be removed - I find it quite hurtful - and the boy can neither spell or construct a sentence. I only ever try to add to the forum - through my drawings - all free for anyone to print, to pictures of plants of interest. Mark.ed. comments on Conophytums - I've never tried to grow one, as for using the word 'trolling' - I find that particularly dumb of him to mention, bandwagon jump for it.
"boy"?! ok. I'm not sure that term refers to many people involved in the C&S community and the spell checker looks to be working fine. I'm not an impulsive ranter and would readily apologise if I was.
On a more positive note the drawings for the Bradleya last year were little less than stunning and would love to see more.
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

Thank you Mar K.D. for your kind comments about the 2011 Bradleya cover drawing, it took several months, and a lot of mistakes to end up the way it did.
To my way of looking, it is full of faults, and I want to try and do something better. I met Al Laius a couple of months ago at the Zone 3 rally and he mentioned that he would like to see another drawing/painting on the cover of 'CACTUSWORLD' - I had in mind Dorstenia (weeds I know in your world!) - but perhaps I should try and draw a Copiapoa - I have actually found two under the bench, so I was wrong, some of us do have them _ If I do the drawing you will have to write the article :shock:
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Hi Mark k.D. and Lithos,

I shall look forward to both the drawing and the article :smile:
Something to do over the long, cold winter months while the majority of our plants are 'asleep'.
Al
Lithos
BCSS Member

Post by Lithos »

Al - I have a lot of drawings to do and as usual Karel Knize is slow to post - and my two old Copiapoas would not even excite Graham Charles on a good day :grin: - So there are no long winter nights here, when dozens of Chilean stuff turns up eventually I'll draw a bit - but I know nothing about them. I was however totally amazed when Tom Jenkins showed slides of Thelocephalas on the beach by Atacama, many years ago. Mark KD tell us how to grow them ..................