MAY 2016 - The oldest plant in my collection.

May 2017 - May Blossom
Sylvia
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Member

MAY 2016 - The oldest plant in my collection.

Post by Sylvia »

It was extremely difficult to think of a title not used before but have chosen this. Lots of pictures please.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: MAY 2016 - The oldest plant in my collection.

Post by rodsmith »

My Notocactus leninghausii was grown from seed sown in 1975 and has been with me over 4 changes of address. It flowers reliably every year but is currently in storage pending our latest move. Six years ago the main stem rotted and I had to cut and re-root it. This is the remainder of the stem and resulting pups. Click twice on each photo for close ups.
Notocactus leninghausii flowers 7 August 2013 (1).jpg
Notocactus leninghausii flowers 7 August 2013 (2).jpg
Notocactus leninghausii flowers 7 August 2013 (3).jpg
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

This venerable old thing was planted in 1934 and has outlived 2 owners, I have known it all my life and been its custodian since 2006. Not the best picture and yes the piece of wood at the back is holding it up.
rebutia.JPG

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Can't believe no one has put any pictures in since 2nd May.

This is probably not the oldest plant in my collection in terms of age, but it is probably the only one I still have that pre-dates my first Greenhouse (e.g. before 1993).

Funny looking back at old pictures. There is a :???: tomato plant :shock: in my Greenhouse in the middle picture. And look at all the space taken up by the :???: fish food tub :shock:. That middle picture was taken because I they were going to the Branch Show at Rochdale and it appears they won first prize. Something tells me there may only have been two entries...... :oops:

Fourth picture taken today.
Mammillaria rhodantha
Mammillaria rhodantha
Mammillaria rhodantha
Mammillaria rhodantha
Mammillaria rhodantha
Mammillaria rhodantha
Mammillaria rhodantha
Mammillaria rhodantha
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

This is the oldest plant that I have grown ( older ones may have been brought into the collection ) when clearing out my father's house after his death, a clay oblong pot was found on a spare bedroom windowsill with two dead brown stems sticking out of the soil see bottom left of picture. this is what it looks like 4 years latter. I had given my mother a large clump of Echinocereus viereckii some 40 years ago when I moved away because she liked the flowers, and here it was still alive even though my father most likely never watered it after my mother died 4 years previous
Attachments
cacti 1 002.jpg
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

That is the most amazing tale of survival, I hope you post another picture when it flowers.
This is my oldest plant that I have grown, an ancient Echinopsis oxygona, it is at least 50 years old.
Echinopsis oxygona
Echinopsis oxygona
I also have this lovely Aloe plicatilis that I took over from someone but I have no idea how old it is.
Aloe plicatilis
Aloe plicatilis
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Liz M wrote: I also have this lovely Aloe plicatilis that I took over from someone but I have no idea how old it is.
No idea either but someone gave me a cutting almost as big and they said it had outgrown his green house again and he had had to restart it.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Here's my large fockea crispa just waking up ( awful picture), this came from a former branch member in 2006, he purchased it at Shrewsbury in 1977 ( good record keeping on the label). I didn't want this plant as it was to big for me to move but he wanted to sell all three fockea together so I was coerced, I love it now.

The plant always worries me as it goes very dormant during the winter & loses lots of branches, whereas my other fockea's keep theirs & have been growing for several months already.
It makes up for it by making a lot of top growth once it starts.
f crispa waking up5_16.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Rayc11
BCSS Member
Branch: COVENTRY

Post by Rayc11 »

This is one of my oldest plants Astrophytum Ornatum, bought as a small seedling at the local Garden centre in 1968, now around 12ins(30cm) tall!
_DSC2725.jpg
RayC - South Leicestershire
Membership no:- 20774
Coventry Branch
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

The oldest cactus I have is now 63 years old - the Trichcereus pasacana that was offered up by Graham (Werewolf) last summer and now resides on the Essex Riviera:
trichopasanew.jpg
But my oldest succulent I reckon must be this Dasylirion quadrangulatum. I'd guess it is a centurian but exactly how old I have no idea. I've had it 10 years. Here it is with a flowering spike emerging last year:
dassyquad.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.