Windowsill collection expands...

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
dalesmatt
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Windowsill collection expands...

Post by dalesmatt »

A quick post to update and apologise. Sadly some of you will know of family problems and health issues that have been creating a difficult time for us. I am keenly aware of members waiting for me to do things. Sadly I was involved in a car accident last thursday but am ok. I will be sorting things out for those who are waiting asap.
thanks
Matt
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Apart from a few seedlings and two Opuntias the windowsill collection is now fully housed in my parents greenhouse, which had the wiring proffessionally put in in the beginning of the winter and is now ticking over at about 5-6 degrees C. I'm very pleased so far with the little fan and heater we got thanks to the recommendation of forum users. :) The house was covered in snow again today!
Matt
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

As General MacArthur once famously said "I have returned". :smile:

With family circumstances dictating a back seat being taken with just about all of my hobby activity my plants had become on a basic continuing care routine, with very little time for photographs and no additions purchased since my last post, although I did pot a few offsets into new pots. My Dad (Ian Gibbs, ex Brid and Hull Branches in the 1960s and 1970s) now being in a nursing home meant he couldn't even visit and get anywhere near the greenhouse now, although in the last 18 months he is able to visit the garden.

A catastrophic heater failure sadly went unnoticed in 2016 in the worst of the frosty weather when I was far too busy with work and my family had presumed that the electric heater was on its auto setting and whirring away, but there was no heat. Spring time heralded disaster when it became clear that many of the plants had not sufficiently dried out and around 70 of my plants, mostly Eriosyce, Neoporteria, Neochileana and some Euphorbia's have died and several more suffered.

Without being able to devote enough time I contemplated whether to finally sort things so I could put some on windowsills, downsize and fade out of the hobby, but it seemed I still enjoy them too much for that and I cleared out, cleaned up, sorted the heater and soldiered on whilst waiting news about job moves and then a house move, still giving basic care to the greenhouse. As life events change I find myself with a bit more time now and thanks to a bit of help I am getting the place tidy and doing some repotting after the soul destroying loss of some lovely plants I had grown from seed.

I have rejoined the society after lapsing a couple of years ago and look forward to the summer.
Cheers
Matt
Matt
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Some of the plants I'm pleased with that survived our frost vs heater battle. Re-potting is going on now as time allows. Chatting about the plants always seems like good therapy for my Dad :geek:
20170626_181935.jpg
20170626_182509.jpg
20170626_182438.jpg
Sadly the basic apps on my phone won t allow much resizing so I shall have to get used to setting the camera on lower resolutions. :wink:
20170626_183751.jpg
My Dad still inspires and reminisces about cacti he's grown, ex Hull and Bridlington branch member in the 60s - 80s
Matt
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Well done Matt for sorting out your collection. I always find that working on my plants is quite therapeutic and soothing- at least if I don't find any dreaded mealies! I'm sure it will help your Dad to chat about the plants and remember past times.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Wish him all the best from another ex- Hull branch member from the 1980's. I was a junior member way back then and well remember the meetings in an old, almost derelict ex-school community centre. The building's dry rot was quite impressive and the speakers often had to compete with a disco in the adjacent hall :)
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Cheers Keith, I will. I believe he remembers the slighty dilapidated state lol. We lived on Hall Rd then until moving to Easingwold.
Cheers
Matt
Matt