Windowsill collection expands...

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
dalesmatt
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Windowsill collection expands...

Post by dalesmatt »

Hello folks, something I've been trying to remember to do for most of the summer, get my camera out a bit more. Anyway, I took these pictures about 3 months ago and forgot about the card I'd loaded them on :???: But, this is the greenhouse myself and my father are sharing, since our respective small collections started to outgrow the windowsill.
There are actually a few more plants aquired since the North West cactus sale, but I will have to get into the house and photograph the late flowering plants in the next day or two. I need to move a few more plants back which somehow strayed back to the house for whatever reason, mainly because I can't puzzle over and try id'ing plants with the laptop down at the far end of my parents garden!
Small space but staging storage soon to be filled up I am sure :)
Small space but staging storage soon to be filled up I am sure :)
greenhouse5sml.jpg (52.33 KiB) Viewed 12549 times
Awaiting organisation! Plants soon to fill this space :)
Awaiting organisation! Plants soon to fill this space :)
Slightly more hemmed in this side!
Slightly more hemmed in this side!
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Re: Windowsill collection expands...

Post by dalesmatt »

A couple more views of plants being relabelled and organised. A lot of plants have historical and not quite up to date names, some are from older collections, or just named using older names!

I've picked up a lot of names in my head from my dad :) Some of its undoubtedly out of sync with plant family reshuffles that are always going on. I am sure some people get a bit annoyed seeing mislabeled plants which have newer 'correct' names but it doesn't worry me too much just yet :smile:

I have quite a liking for Euphorbias, especially the smaller spiny varieties, but many don't take kindly to our weather and lack of sun, so I am taking it slow collecting different types. Some of these will be moving back to the windowsill for the winter though, just in case!

regards
Matt
greenhouse4sml.jpg
greenhouse3sml.jpg
Matt
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

A couple more shots of euphorbia's which were back at home earlier in the year in the repot queue. The Stellaspina is one of the more unamusing of the plants I've had to repot in 2011 ;) I do like it though.
IMGP4082sml.jpg
forby repot queue.jpg
Matt
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

I'll get around to some more photos this week sometime, there was a couple of Copiapoa still in flower and a couple of the Mamms. The cono's don't seem to have woken up very quickly and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong there, but I'll take the camera over in case there is anything else still in bloom.

Soon be time to stop the watering! How the year has flown by. Mind you it was still 94 in there the other day.
regards
Matt
Matt
Thord
Registered Guest

Post by Thord »

So why should you worry about plant names Matt? THE most important thing is that one likes the look of the plant. That´s my main reason when buying plants.Knowing names is nice but not a necessity to my thinking.
Thord. All kinds of smallgrowing cacti.
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by Lyn »

LOVELY collection Matt, thanks for sharing :-)
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Thanks for the comments folks!

Thord, its true, and for me its now first the aesthetic quality of the plant, I must like the look of it, or I don't generally bother.

About 8 years ago I used to have an awful lot of Mammillaria's, partly I'd started buying any, but gradually I developed an interest in hooked spine forms, then I think I realised I was buying them for the sake of it, rather than just loving the look of an individual type, so I took a break from cacti for a while - which was also easy because we moved house!

Current layout of the house and garden, the front faces east and the back is west and shaded by large neighbouring trees means no greenhouse at home, so I am grateful to be sharing my Dad's small one which gets masses of sun at the end of their sou'-sou'- west facing garden. We're being careful over the number of plants because my wife and my mum are getting to hear the excuse 'oh but its only a small seedling' or 'no, I've had that one for ages' a bit too often ;) Lucky for me my Dad is collecting Lithops so they take up less room just now because they are all small. (tu)

My favourite plants are hard to pick out in the photos, a nice Euphorbia Crispa, and the old Euphorbia Horrida, a lovely old grey plant I aquired from Ron Wood at Wrelton what must be at least 15 years ago. [I just realised! :shock: ] along with the agave Victoria Reginae which also came from him about half the size it is now. It seems very very slow growing but I don't mind, he had one in his glasshouse which was about 2 feet in diameter and mine is a 'pup' off that. I also like the Copiapoa's too, but I think they will have to come in the house for the winter.

In flower today is a Lithops Dorothea and another yellow flowerer, 3 Mamm's, the white Euphorbia Milli, and a Euphorbia tubiglans which I had the misfortune to damage in transit during the house move. Two of the 'branches' got knocked of the caudiciform centre which has left it looking slightly odd, but the two branches seemed to take root and one is producing flowers of its own at the moment. It too looks a bit odd and I wasn't sure it would root but it seems ok :???:

Regards
Matt
Matt
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by sue46 »

Nice collection - thank you for sharing. Looks like plenty of room for new plants in there as well :lol:
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Sue, this is so. But, we have to be careful! Not too many allowed in all at once, we're supposed to be leveling off the aquisitions. Then again we do have plans for a narrow shelf across the back for some of the small plants, which would create even more room...! :???:
Matt
DragonFish66
BCSS Member
Branch: BARROW & District

Post by DragonFish66 »

Windowsill Looks like a greenhouse to me :lol: great plants you have there (tu)