Winter protection without a greenhouse

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
chrisg
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Winter protection without a greenhouse

Post by chrisg »

I have recently move house, partly to get a bigger garden so I can have a greenhouse. That is a project for next year, until then protecting my plants over winter if a mixture of cold frames and filling every available space indoors.

Outside I have one cold frame which houses plants that need a little protection, the first level is mainly agaves and cacti:
frame-1-03.jpg
The second level is mainly echeverias. I expect this to drop to about -8 this winter which as the plants are totally dry seems to be fine for these (or has been the last 3 years).
frame-1-05.jpg
Those are the lucky ones outside, there are also a few bowls which go under cloches, these are the echevervia agavoides collection and a cacti collection. I actually keep a lot of my agaves and cacti like this as I find with my minimums keeping them dry is enough.
plastic-bells.jpg
Having just moved, everything is a bit up in the air at the moment, so there are still quite a few under temporary rain covers until I can get the proper ones up.
chairs.jpg
The lucky plants get brought inside, I have a three level prop unit which is great for winter, The top is perfect for larger plants, and the two lower levels both have lights (when I manage to find them). I can also add a heat matt if I want depending on what I am growing.
light-shelves-01.jpg
chrisg
BCSS Member

Re: Winter protection without a greenhouse

Post by chrisg »

I also have an overflow area in our bedroom (which is next to be decorated so sadly the plants can not stay here), the wall papering table has come in very useful. I'm not sure that is what my wife mean when she told me to dig it out. These are plants that are either waiting for the lights in the prop unit or there were not space for on windowsills.
temp-table-2.jpg
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

A fascinating glimpse into your collection, thank you so much. You really do need a greenhouse, though, make sure it's really big.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
chrisg
BCSS Member

Post by chrisg »

Liz M wrote:A fascinating glimpse into your collection, thank you so much. You really do need a greenhouse, though, make sure it's really big.
Thank you. I can't wait to get to grips with the garden and to set aside the space for the greenhouse. This year has highlighted how big the green house is going to have to be. That cold frame is about 70cm by 180cm, I could fill 3 of them without any problems at all, so I am thinking it will probably have to be an 16x8 greenhouse to give me a little room for a few more plants :lol:
Last edited by chrisg on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

You are certainly well organised, Chris. Your collection appears to be in tip top condition and very well looked after. Your regime is obviously working well. Good luck with the greenhouse next year. Whatever size you think will be large enough, get a bigger one, unless you are very self disciplined and can avoid adding to your collection.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
chrisg
BCSS Member

Post by chrisg »

Thank you. Having had a tiny garden and no greenhouse for years I am very good at being controlled with my buying, but I will make sure I have space for a few more plants don't worry