Bubblewrap insulation in greenhouses

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
gerald
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Bubblewrap insulation in greenhouses

Post by gerald »

I've had a look through these greenhouse tours and there are some super collections out there. One thing I also noticed is that many members have 'bubblewrap' type insulation in their greenhouse. My question is, is it usual to keep the bubblewrap up during the summer? If anything, it would make the greenhouse very hot, and possibly reduce the amount of light, or is that a good thing to have some shade from the strong sun? Or should it be taken down, if practical, and used during the winter only?
I've only just acquired my first greenhouse so all advice is welcome.
gerald
BCSS Member

Re: Bubblewrap insulation in greenhouses

Post by gerald »

70+ views and no replies....?!?!
Nick boden
BCSS Member

Post by Nick boden »

Hi, I've had my greenhouse for 2 years now and I put the bubblewrap insulation up in the winter and take it down in the spring. I pack it away and use it again next year. Unfortunately I can't get electric to my greenhouse so its not heated, so I need all the help with insulation I can get! In the spring once i've taken down the bubblewrap, I wash all the glass and make sure that the top shelf only has cacti that won't be damaged by the sun ,and keep it all well ventilated.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Hi Gerald,

I have no bubble plastic in my main collection house, as I want to maximise the winter light available, regardless of heating costs!

In my "propagation" house (warmer), I keep the bubble plastic up all year round. It has been there 15 years (UV stabilised) but is now only just showing signs of deterioration and needing replacement this summer (From previous experiences if you keep taking down and put it back, it doesn't seem to last as long - mechanical wear at the attachment points). Also be very aware that if you take bubble plastic down in say April, the change in light levels can be dramatic and the early spring sun can be surprisingly strong even in the UK - beware scorching.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Tony
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

A lot depends upon how large is your greenhouse. If it's large it may be too much of a burden to keep putting it up/taking it down each year. Also, access can be awkward if there's a central staging in such a large greenhouse.
If you live in countryside, the atmosphere could be so unpolluted that certain plants would burn no matter how much ventilation is provided.
Come what may, high levels of such ventilation are crucial.
Overall, there's a good case for leaving the bubble in place all year as most plants won't suffer or have fewer flowers (refers largely to cacti).
gerald
BCSS Member

Post by gerald »

Thanks for your replies. (tu)

As this is the first time I have had a greenhouse, I'll see how it goes this summer in so far as how much light it gets (SE facing) and how much heat is generated. Nobody is saying it's a bad thing to keep the bubblewrap up over the summer, unless there isn't much light, so I will see how it goes.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

bubblewrap will degrate over time due to the sunlight. Maybe even after one or two seasons?
Maybe you are better of by hanging some shading cloth on the inside of your greenhouse. I have mine in use for about 15 years. It will take away about 10 to 20% (haven't measured it, though) of light intensity. It will let enough through for the plants to get good light and holds just enough light to keep the plants from scorching.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Aiko's correct if ordinary packaging type bubble wrap is used, however UV protected bubble wrap, especially the large bubble version with a somewhat thicker side will be good for 10-15 years.

I speak from experience!