Indoor windowsill and outdoor shadecloth set-up

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
James Pickering
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Indoor windowsill and outdoor shadecloth set-up

Post by James Pickering »

During cold days, and at night during the winter months, I maintain my small growing Arrojadoa & Discocactus in 2" (x 3" deep) and 2¾" square plastic pots indoors on a south facing windowsill. On sunny winter days when the temperature rises to around 70°F (which happens quite frequently in southern Arizona) they go outside on the patio under 30% shade cloth, coming inside as the temperature drops at nightfall. With the arrival of spring - when the daytime temperature climbs into the 80s and the nighttime temperatures are in the 50s - they stay outside until the arrival once again of winter temperatures.

Following are some photos of staged indoor windowsill cacti:

Photo taken from inside room - not very clear

Photo of windowsill plants staged on table outdoors for clarity

Following are some pics of my set-up for growing small Brazilian cacti under 30% shade cloth:

Note metal mesh transporting trays

Following is a pic of my set-up for rooting cuttings, de-grafts, offsets, etc. outdoors under 30% shade cloth over chicken wire:

Last edited by James Pickering on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
James
Cactus cultivation notes (secure web site)
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Shadecloth set-up

Post by purzo »

That's a nice collection James, thanks for sharing. It's interesting to hear how growers in other parts of the world get their plants through Winter where conditions are very different to here in the UK
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
James Pickering
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Indoor windowsill and outdoor shadecloth set-up

Post by James Pickering »

purzo wrote:That's a nice collection James, thanks for sharing. It's interesting to hear how growers in other parts of the world get their plants through Winter where conditions are very different to here in the UK
Thank you purzo. Yes, I have changed my growing set-ups over time to adapt to the climates of northern England, Texas, high desert California, Florida and, for the past forty years or so, southern Arizona. Each climate has required different approaches. My present location with constant sunshine, extreme aridity and winter warmth is so dramatically different than when I was growing my cacti and succulents on our house windowsill behind black-out curtains (and some in my grandfather's coke/boiler heated tomato greenhouse) in Burnley, Lancashire, during World War II.
James
Cactus cultivation notes (secure web site)
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
DragonFish66
BCSS Member
Branch: BARROW & District

Re: Indoor windowsill and outdoor shadecloth set-up

Post by DragonFish66 »

Very nice collection you have there :smile: