Tina's hot greenhouse

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Tina's hot greenhouse

Post by Tina »

Thanks lyn
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi mike and jim
I put my pachycormus outside for the summer and it actually made lots of growth with a few new branches so doesn't like it that hot which is odd when you think of its natural habitat.
What's the minimum temperature you keep yours at
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

10c.

Bearing in mind how well Calibanus does outside I think Pachycormus should join it next year.
Roberto A
BCSS Member

Post by Roberto A »

Beautiful plants!
Is the biggest plant in the third photo an Idria? How long has it been with you??
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Roberto,
Sorry I don't look on here very often.
yes it's an idria, I have had it since June 2010. It came from Doug rowlands who got it from desert land nursery USA, this was before cites (1983) when you just pointed at one you liked & it was sent via sea.
It hadn't been repotted in 20+ years and had some root rot when I got it but is happy and growing well now, this was another plant that liked it outside for the summer last year it's just a shame my garden is soo small.
Tina

Bucks, UK
Deltron
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Deltron »

First post but had to comment as soon as I saw this. What an amazing collection. As a keen Pachypodium beginner you have some great variety in there to my untrained eye.

Most interesting of all, where did you get the fouquieria from? I've been hunting for months and can only find them on eBay US and strictly with domestic shipping.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Thank you, sorry i forgte about other parts of the forum.
fouquieria from
do you mean the idria or the other fouquieria's.
I think they mostly came from Ernie who used to post on the forum & he purchased them from Exotica/Specks which has now closed down.
They are fairly easy to grow from seed even Idria columnaris but very slow.
Tina

Bucks, UK
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD

Post by FaeLLe »

Tina do you have an estimate on how much it costs to run your heated greenhouse with the 24/7 fans?
Would love to understand what your maintenance and running costs are too please.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi
No I don't have any idea of costs, I try not to or I might have to justify keeping the greenhouse at 15C when indoors the family get advised to put a warm fleece on.
I doubt the fans use much electricity, they are only pc fans.
Tina

Bucks, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

If you worry about heating costs, try to place the plants in a smaller area that you will heat, which resides in your greenhouse. I use two cold frames for this purpuse, both are on tables inside the greenhouse itself, and the temperature inside both cold frames are controlled with a thermostat that controls a fan heater. The heaters switch on when the thermostat says it is 0C, and switches off when the cold frames hit 5C, after which the temperatures inside the cold frames slowly dissipates to 0C on cold nights. I only have about three square meters of space (and about three cubic meters of area) to heat up.