My Black Box - Updated Pics

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: My Black Box - Updated Pics

Post by AnTTun »

Thanks for update Bryan. One more Q: whats the inner size of the black box? Trying to figure out how much 2x45W + 81W can cover...
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
BryanW
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BryanW »

The box dimensions are 120cm x 70 x 70, it has a highly reflective interior. As the season goes on I will put the lights closer to the plants and most likely add at least 1 more panel to cover the full width and probably replace the strip with 3 more panels. so I should end up with 6x 45w. I'll also add another fan.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I think I'll have to go slowly and stick to regular LED lights for quite a while. My math would be:
6 panels * 5 areas * 25 euros = Mrs TT Freaking Out :)
But will come back to you for details about panels when I'm ready, at least for test phase.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

AnTTun wrote:I think I'll have to go slowly and stick to regular LED lights for quite a while. My math would be:
6 panels * 5 areas * 25 euros = Mrs TT Freaking Out :)
But will come back to you for details about panels when I'm ready, at least for test phase.
Thats why I'm taking my time, my Mrs freaks out when she see's a new plant now :lol:
BCSS Member 51898
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

I've been busy having a tidy up, thanks to a jumbo drip tray that fits the width of the grow box.
My Son has added a new LED panel and installed some ratchet hangers, I can now lower/raise the LEDs easily. The Lithops have now been arranged according to their Cole ID# and the rest of the plants according to type, except for the Haworthia, they go where they fit for now.
Pics have been deliberately compressed to 50% quality and 1024 pixels wide to reduce file size, I apologise if they're not up to scratch.
Left side
Left side
Right side
Right side
BCSS Member 51898
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

Thank-you Bryan, for showing this set-up. Very well explained and nicely illustrated.
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

Hi Ivan, thank you for the kind comments (tu)
BCSS Member 51898
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

I purchased a 2nd Generation multi-spectrum LED panel earlier this week to see how good they are.
multi-spectrum panel
multi-spectrum panel
2ndGenPanel1.jpg (33.59 KiB) Viewed 8082 times
I swapped it for one of the red/blue panels to see how the plants reacted to it. So far the only thing I've really noticed is the Faucaria tigrina seedlings that were window-sill reared are now standing upright and starting to colour up pink around the base like they do in the sun. Other plants directly under the panel are now visible in a truer colour and not jaded pink.
So far I'm happy with the new panel and will eventually swap out the red/blue panels, which will still be used when I get my wooden growing box/unit built for me.
One thing I noticed with the red/blue panels is that some of the Haworthia lost colour and some even turned a shade of red (especially H. marumiana & H.tesselata). I've taken all the Haworthia out of the grow box and placed them on the window-sill and they have now de-stressed and reverted back to their natural colour.

Specs of the multi-spectrum panel are:
Multi-Spectrum Grow lamps: Red light (650-660nm),Orange light (620-630nm) + Blue Light(460-465 nm) +White Light (3000-6500k)+ IR(730-740nm). high Par Value:145 μmol/(m²·s) / 30cm, very useful for Seedling stage and flower stage and vegetable stage.
BCSS Member 51898