Gerrardanthus macrorhizus haircut time

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Gerrardanthus macrorhizus haircut time

Post by MikeDom »

The only time you get to see the caudex after filling a third of a wheelie bin with vine. Best way to remove any lurking pests that want to overwinter. High diversity in the interesting caudex shapes.
gm1.JPG
gm2.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Gerrardanthus macrorhizus haircut time

Post by AnTTun »

Remarkable plants Mike.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Thank you Antun. A high nitrogen diet does the trick, 8 years from seed.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I'm not sure I really understand Mike, so I'll ask: you mean fertilizer has high levels of nitrogen? If so, how high?
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

I use 25% Nitrogen fertiliser, 50% strength at each watering.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Sorry to bother you with this again, I'm just trying to understand because I'm very careful when it comes to nitrogen. How much of that fertilizer you add to, lets say, 1 liter of water? Also, is there any other ingredient (phosphorus, potassium...) important for these plants?
Thank you :)
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Hello Antun, Sorry for the confusing last message. I use Chempak No. 2 fertiliser diluted to half strength. It contains (at full strength) 25% Nitrogen, 15% Potassium and 15% Phosphorus. These chemicals help the development of the vines and the growth of the caudex. The vines grow to about 5 metres and completely cover the caudex to shade it from hot sun, as well as finding their way all round the greenhouse. I find this is the best fertiliser to give all-round growth, the caudex is firm and the roots are many and fibrous. Hope that helps.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Thanks for full and vivid info Mike. I doubt I'll find Chempak in Croatia, but now I know which ratio I should look for and how much I should dilute it. I have a few caudiciforms, some adeniums and pachypodiums but I'm not happy with the way they grow with my regular fertilizer. Again, thank you. Lets pump up the volume :)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Mike,
Amazing plants and soo young mine are obviously starved- much older and smaller, why is this in this section I only found it by accident it would be better on the general forum
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Hi Tina,
Thank you, I mistakenly put the post here, my fault and I suspect it can't be moved.

This is one of those plants where the caudex grows much quicker with increased fertilizer and water, something that will kill most Pachypodiums, for example. At 4 years the plant on the left split it's 6" clay pot when the caudex expanded in Spring after being watered. The extra fertilizer is also used to make the vines which can be very vigorous and in my case were taking over part of the greenhouse, and this is the first year these have been trimmed. Replant every couple of years into pots twice the size before, they will respond with increased roots. I repotted the one on the left as part of it's trim and removed two-thirds of the roots to fit it into the pot so I can show the plant. I also keep them regularly watered throughout winter to stop them going soft, 10 degrees C is sufficient

As I can never refuse a plant or a seed, below are pictures of the 2 year old plants I've got going. They will be repotted in Spring, and then I'll have to decide what to do with them... You can see that some of the caudexes are small and some are bigger. I made the mistake of letting them get dry last Winter so they lost their vines and some have been highly resistant to growing again hence their small size.
IMG_4766.JPG
IMG_4767.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216