Post by Paul in Essex »

A few more:

Agave bracteosa
agave7a.jpg
Agave striata
agave8.jpg
Agave ovatifolia
agave9.jpg
The latter not in such good nick as the ones you pictured, Colin - it didn't enjoy our long wet winter followed by a long cool spring!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: June 2013 - Genus of the Month - Agave

Post by Cactus Jack »

Where's "AgaveGeoff" ??? :lol:
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

This Agave victoriae reginae is variegated since she was born 15 years ago :20cm in diameter now
really unusual variegation without order
Agave victoriae reginae variegata.jpg
Agave victoriae reginae variegata.jpg (237.92 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
Colin Walker
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Diane wrote:I was waiting for you to start this off, Tina! Love that 'Blue glow' mediopicta - very nice!

Agave parryi 'Cream spike'
IMG_2063 (550x489).jpg
Diane, it turns out that the correct name for this cv. is Agave applanata 'Cream Spike'. I showed a pic of this at the CSSA Austin convention and was corrected on its name. Turns out that this is a long mis-I'd plant.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Paul in Essex wrote:That is Agave x nigra, Colin - the naturally occurring hybrid between A. scabra and A. nickelsiae. And a particularly nice version of it. The Americans give it a sassy name of 'Sharkskin' but I prefer plain old x nigra.
Thanks for the ID Paul. And this plant was just growing in the verge along the street from our B & B. :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Colin
I have to raise a query re this statement
Diane, it turns out that the correct name for this cv. is Agave applanata 'Cream Spike'. I showed a pic of this at the CSSA Austin convention and was corrected on its name. Turns out that this is a long mis-I'd plant.
I have had some plants via Derek Bowdery that came labelled as A parryi patoni ( probably about 12 yrs ago) I know there was some controversy about the name but I 'grow what I like' not a label
BUT how can it be Agave applanata 'Cream Spike' wasn't cream spike a tissue culture plant that was originally from Plant delights, my plants existed before the plant delights agaves were tissue cultured or am I suffering from 'old timers again ' :eek:, I have heard of the being called applanata but was never too sure about the naming.
Here's another nice un for the thread agave chazaroi, this one is a favourite for bugs which seem to cause horrible marks on it.
a chazaroi2.jpg
a chazaroi2.jpg (220.6 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
Agave gypsophila white XX
gypso A.jpg
gypso A.jpg (120.27 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi PAul
Nice, so all these agaves are bedded out but do they have any protection during the winter, I'm surprised about Bracteosa out in the wilds of your garden - mine are pampered under glass.
Does it help having them on a slope so they never sit in water.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Richaud

You have some interesting variegates I really like the Agave titanota variegate, that has really random variegation, does it ever offset :wink: :wink:
The odd splashes of colour on the Victoria reginae is very unusual , does it go green in the winter ?.
I'm jealous that you grew it from seed I had some albino agave utahensis seedlings once but they all died, it was a shame there were no true variegates that survived.
Tina

Bucks, UK
Agavegeoff
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Agavegeoff »

Hi, all.
Guess you have all been wondering .
Well this might be a clue.
Just outside of Jeroma Arizona
Just outside of Jeroma Arizona
P1000947-001.JPG (77.69 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
Attachments
About to flower at home along with many others.
About to flower at home along with many others.
P1010671.JPG (156.63 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
Cheers Agavegeoff.

Long time Gloucester and District Branch member. NCCPG Agave collection holder.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Tina wrote:Hi PAul
Nice, so all these agaves are bedded out but do they have any protection during the winter, I'm surprised about Bracteosa out in the wilds of your garden - mine are pampered under glass.
Does it help having them on a slope so they never sit in water.
Tina - some do get a cover, some don't. The Agave bracteosa, filifera and striata are fine growing without any kind of protection - they have proved over the years to be the hardiest of all the agaves I've grown. Superb drainage, of course - Agave bracteosa grows on vertical cliff faces so I've tried to make it feel at home - but nothing overhead. The 'fleshier' agaves seem to benefit from a rain cover or, more specifically, a snow cover. I found to my cost that larger agaves + snow in the centre = pile of mush come spring. We get the wrong kind of snow here, wet and slushy, not nice dry powdery stuff that would insulate the plants better. So all those others get some form of cloche or, if too big, simply a blanket over them if snow is forecast.

Here are Agave x nigra and th vic-reg with their covers on - transparent umbrellas from eBay!
agavecovers1.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.