July 2017 - GotM - Echinopsis

January 2017 - Genus of the Month - Lepismium
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

July 2017 - GotM - Echinopsis

Post by Phil_SK »

Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: July 2017 - GotM - Echinopsis

Post by rodsmith »

I think there is a paragraph following figure 2 in the July GotM article which shouldn't be there as it refers to Avonia.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I had a couple of plants in flower last week, one unnamed plant has suffered from my poor cultivation recently but produced four flowers
web-2294.jpg
three of which opened on the same day (fourth opened next day)
web-2301.jpg
Also open at the same time was a plant I got from Abbey Brook Cactus Echinopsis calochlora x calorubra
Echinopsis calochlora x calorubra
Echinopsis calochlora x calorubra
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I presume Pseudolobivia qualifies as Echinopsis? Afraid this is a handheld shot in the staging since I never seem to get around to properly photographing it when really in full bloom, since it often has more flowers on than here. Not much of a looker out of flower, but then are most Echinopsis?

Echinopsis (Pseudolobivia) obrepanda ssp. purpurea.
Pseudolobivia2.jpg
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by daniel82 »

Echinopsis coronata
coronata.jpg
coronata.jpg (68.16 KiB) Viewed 10475 times
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Lobivia subdenudata continues to be a popular choice of garden centres and DIY chains, especially the form with abundant fluff in the areoles, sometimes seen treated as 'fuzzy navel'. Mine came from a garden centre some years ago but didn't do very well for a long time. It is starting to look more healthy and has reached flowering size.
P7270002.JPG
P7270003.JPG
I have a couple of other plants that are not quite so fluffy. This first one originally came from Ron Wood's Cruck Cottage Cacti in Pickering.
P7270005.JPG
And another, similar plant, from Harry Middleditch.
P7270006.JPG
Subdenudata was described for plants found near Entre Ríos in Tarija, Bolivia. There are a few other plants that are quite widespread in cultivation that were found in that area but have spines.
Lau 941 is from Villamontes, around 50 miles east:
P7270011.JPG
Lau 400, from Entre Ríos, variously seen as "sp. nova" (despite being collected in 1970), E. tapecuana, or the n.n.s E. tapecuana v. tropica or E. tortispina.
P7270014.JPG
And here's yet another form, claiming to be from Entre Ríos but s.n. It has smaller bodies and slightly longer spines.

The New Cactus Lexicon treated subdenudata as a form of E. ancistrophora but tapecuana (published 1965) as a form of E. pamparuizii (published 1970). I'm inclined to believe that all of these I've shown from Bolivia are the same but subdenudata might be the oldest name.
P7270016.JPG
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Described from the Tucumán - Salta area of Argentina, Lobivia ancistrophora is quite variable too. Here are some:
MN 63 and RH 480, both from near Salta city.
P7270018.JPG
P7270019.JPG
and a BLMT 449.01 from northern Tucumán.
P7270017.JPG
Finally, here's a peculiar plant which I recommend getting seed of if you ever place an order with ADBLPS. I managed to get 4 plants to this stage and all are similar, so it comes true. Aymeric calls it 'Tug'. I haven't flowered it yet but the flowers are fairly normal in the photos I've seen.
P7270009.JPG
P7270010.JPG