Gasteraloe care question

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
Stevium
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Gasteraloe care question

Post by Stevium »

Hi all,

I bought a small Gasteraloe recently from a society meeting and have placed it in a south-west facing windowsill with many of my other plants. However, within just a few weeks there is what appears to be a burn hole emerging in one of the leaves. Is a south-west window too much for a gasteraloe? None of the other plants seem to be affected.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Gasteraloe care question

Post by rodsmith »

I suppose it depends on which genes it has inherited from each parent. Gasterias are happy in shade and it may be that your gasteraloe would be too. They only way to find out is to place it in a less sunny place. The risk would be that it is too shady and the plant begins to etiolate. Best to give it a try, rather than risk death due to sun scorch.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

If it is a black spot that has developed then that is something that frequently happens to gasteria, this article by Harry Mays might help http://cactusnursery.co.uk/All%20that%2 ... 20Spot.pdf
Stevium
Registered Guest
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by Stevium »

Hi both,

Thanks for your replies. I will move the plant to a slightly less bright spot and see what happens. I wasn't aware of black spot - I've attached a picture of my plant, could you give me your opinion as to whether you think this might be the case?

Thanks.
Attachments
Gasteraloe
Gasteraloe
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

The round spot in the middle of the leaf is similar to what I find occasionally on my gasterias, most of my plants are in shadier areas of my greenhouse. For sun scorch I would expect to see an irregular area of damage more like the other area of damage on your plant but I would also expect the damage to occur on more than one leaf with all those of the same orientation showing signs of damage (had some on my crassulas earlier this year when first day of strong sun)
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

Same thing happens to mine quite often, but it grows quite wild and offsets a lot so I don't really pay attention :) Btw, I think yours is gasteraloe / gastrolea cv Wonder.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

It always used to happen with my plant of Gasteraloe cv. Wonder, but no other plants. It always looked unsightly (much worse than yours eventually), and in the end I gave up with it. Maybe it is particularly susceptible to whatever fungal infection it is.
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!