Haworthia ID and advice

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
Julie A
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Haworthia ID and advice

Post by Julie A »

Having read some of the threads on here, apologies if I am asking something really basic but I wondered if someone could tell me the species of Haworthia this is?
Haworthia.jpg
Haworthia.jpg (174.57 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
It is a recent arrival and I have read online that in winter they only want to be watered every couple of months! The little pot does dry out quickly so have given it more than that, also it is in a centrally heated (although not hot) environment, so is more ok? It was very dry before I watered again. I did find a couple of squiggy leaves this morning, deep at the base - starting under the soil. As you can see the soil comes up quite a long way up the base of the plant so am not sure if that is unwise or if I've overdone the watering. I've removed them. I could also keep it in an unheated greenhouse if prefered. Thank you.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Haworthia ID and advice

Post by el48tel »

Looks like Haworthia fasciata ... but I am not an expert.
Mine sits in the conservatory and has not been watered since September ... and will need repotting soon .... and the offsets given a new home
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

I would rather say your plant is Haworthiopsis attenuata (on account of the irregular distribution of the spots, including the generous amount on the inner face of the leaves), but telling those two apart seems to be a science on its own. As for pulling out wilted leaves, I only do it when they are completely dry. Since my winter climate is considerably warmer than yours (it never freezes), mine get (lightly) watered regularly throughout the winter, as much as fortnightly. Many Haworthiopsis, including H. attenuata and H. fasciata, are grown outside year round here in Portugal (very wet winters).
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Julie A
Registered Guest

Post by Julie A »

Thank you for the information jfabiao, very helpful. Frost free winters, how lovely!
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Beautiful specimen!
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I second jfabiao's ID.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

See also this thread for discussion attenuata vs. fasciata:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168092&p=277070&hil ... ta#p277019
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)