Turbinicarpus disaster!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ross M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Turbinicarpus disaster!

Post by Ross M »

I hate to grumble but I'm 'aboot greetin' as they say up here in Scotland !

I've just lost four of my mature Turbinicarpus:cry:. After many years of trouble-free growing in 2" pots, I decided to be 'kind' to them in the spring and pot them on into 2.75" pots. Bad move! Despite being in my usual free draining compost, it seems that they never quite got their roots out and into the new compost. I'm never generous with the watering can but even so, the compost appears not to have dried out between waterings causing the plants to rot. I dare say the so called summer hasn't helped.

My biggest disappointment has been losing an old plant of Turbinicarpus valdezianus v. albiflora. I'd really like a replacement but have scoured the nursery lists without success.

Does anyone know where I can buy one these days, either in the UK or Europe?

Sorry again for moaning!
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: Turbinicarpus disaster!

Post by Stuart Estell »

Ross, are the tops of the plants sound? Turbs are reasonably obliging as far as rooting down goes if there's enough solid material left to do it with.
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

Unfortunately not Stuart. All I noticed is a slight discolouration of the plant bodies, which, upon closer inspection, turns out to be complete mush inside! They seem pretty good at pretending that they are healthy when unbeknown to me they're really just a shell. A real scunner as some of them were over 10 years old.
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

That's awful Ross, hope you find a replacement.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Hi Ross,
That is a real shame! I don't know what your other 3 species were, but I bought some plants a couple of years ago from this seller which included valdezianus albiflorus - Palkowitchia - and though small, they were pretty cheap, even allowing for postage costs.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

That looks a really interesting site Chris - thanks. Were you able to order by email and pay by Paypal?
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.

Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Ross. I totally empaphise as I hate losing plants and haven't yet had any of mine more than 4 years!! After 10 I'd be moaning too! :gl: with finding replacements!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Mike »

Sorry to hear that Ross
I suspect the cool wet summer hasn't helped either.
I've just lost a mature Mammillaria uncinata to rot. First plant I've lost to rot in ages, and one of my top 3 Mamms. :(
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Ross,
I am pretty sure I just sent some Euros in a well sealed envelope. I thought I'd have some email record related doing this but I can't find anything at the moment - might be on the other PC!
But the manager, Petr Pavelka is very well known here in the UK, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

That's bad news Mike. It's a really horrible sinking feeling when you realise what's happened.

I think you're right about the damp summer. The plants just aren't drying out the same.
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.