ELK route knowledge request

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Keith L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEICESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

ELK route knowledge request

Post by Keith L »

For those ELK regulars, I would be grateful for your suggestions of the better route to take. I'm going from Dunkerque and the great God Google suggests going up to Brugge before turning up to Blankenberge, whereas the RAC and AA suggest going via Oostende - which has the advantage for me in that I went on the Oostende ferry last year so know the last part of the route.

Is the road around Brugge easy, or likely to be congested etc?

Any comments on these or other alternatives will be welcome.

Thanks - and see you there if your advice is right!

Keith
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Re: ELK route knowledge request

Post by Phil White »

Hi Keith,
From memory I would actually agree with Google, the route is much easier/quicker even though not direct. For me the route is more convoluted via Ostend.
Once you get into Blankenberge follow the signs to the sea life centre. Again from memory turn right at the 1st major junction/lights turn right & after a mile look out for Dunise Polders on the rhs.
Enjoy the trip.
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

We went via oostende as per the AA last year and didn't have any problems. Can't say about the other route although Phil has been more often than me so may have a better idea.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

This is the route I've always taken Keith courtesy of the http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp , simple and easy, no need to enter Brugge. Never had any problems with congestion etc.

0.00 Start out at Dunkerque,France Unclassified 0.00
0.09 Branch left, then merge onto Rue De L'ecluse De Bergues Rue De L'ecluse De Bergues 0.09
0.19 Continue forward onto Pont De L'europe Pont De L'europe 0.28
0.09 Turn left onto Pont Terre Rouge - N1 N1 0.37
1.66 Turn right onto Avenue De La Libération Avenue De La Libération 2.03
1.18 Continue forward, then join the A16 motorway A16 3.21
12.70 Bear left onto the E40 E40 15.91
30.00 Leave the E40 at junction 5, then turn left onto Oostendse Baan - N33 N33 45.90
7.99 Turn right onto Elisabethlaan - R31 R31 53.90
1.50 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Ringlaan - R31 R31 55.40
0.71 At roundabout take the 1st exit onto Ringlaan - R31 R31 56.11
0.63 Continue forward onto Tweebruggenstraat - N34 N34 56.73
5.33 Continue forward onto Koninklijke Baan - N34e N34e 62.07
7.91 Continue forward onto Drift - N317 N317 69.97
0.22 Bear right onto Ringlaan - N34 N34 70.19
4.99 Arrive at Blankenberge,Belgium N34 75.18
- Section time 0:55, Total time 0:55

Then from Blankenberge as Phil says follow the signs for the Sea Life Centre which takes you along the coastal road right to the traffic lights outside Duinse Polders then hook a right into the car park. It's virtually a case of once you get onto the autoroute from the Dunkerque Seaport of following your nose, it's literally a straight run.

See you there:)
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Last year my GPS took me up the Autoroute (A18/E10) and took me off atthe Jabbeke / De Haan intersection, and then north west on N377 to N9 intersection, where I took that road north east to join the N307 taking this up to the coast at Wenduine.
I don't remember exactly how long, but I know it took me just 1 hr 10 from Calais Eurotunnel. I found that out when I had to do the round trip after I tried to check in at the Tunnel only to find that I had left my passport at the hotel.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Tom J
Registered Guest

Post by Tom J »

I'd advise to take the Oostende route, not via Brugge: there are road works ongoing the last time I was there, most likely still are.
Satherday, Club Brugge plays at home, so an extra motivation to avoid that area sath-evening.

Tom
Growing Mesembs, a way of life...
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Keith L »

Thanks for all your comments - it almost sounds as if all roads lead to ELK! I'll probably go via Oostende as I know the final part of that route, but may return via Brugge to see another part of the country.

Regards

Keith