Help please!!!!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
erasmus666
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Help please!!!!

Post by erasmus666 »

[attachment 13983 PICT0043.JPG]

This hopefully shows the parts of the plant that are turning white.
Attachments
AAAAKXEBwAoAAAA1AAAAAAAAABLT05JQ0EgTUlOT0xUQSBESUdJVEFMIENBTUVSQSAgAEtvbmljYSBNaW5vbHRhIENhbWV
AAAAKXEBwAoAAAA1AAAAAAAAABLT05JQ0EgTUlOT0xUQSBESUdJVEFMIENBTUVSQSAgAEtvbmljYSBNaW5vbHRhIENhbWV (30.83 KiB) Viewed 883 times
erasmus666
Registered Guest

Post by erasmus666 »

[attachment 13984 PICT0041.JPG]

These show my other cacti, none of which have ever flowered. All they seem to have done is get bigger and bigger and .....!
Attachments
AAAAKXEBwAoAAAA1AAAAAAAAABLT05JQ0EgTUlOT0xUQSBESUdJVEFMIENBTUVSQSAgAEtvbmljYSBNaW5vbHRhIENhbWV
AAAAKXEBwAoAAAA1AAAAAAAAABLT05JQ0EgTUlOT0xUQSBESUdJVEFMIENBTUVSQSAgAEtvbmljYSBNaW5vbHRhIENhbWV (27.13 KiB) Viewed 883 times
Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

it looks like that it has been eaten by something
in love with astrophytums and Haworthia truncata
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

Cold or in a draught?
Sue
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Sue »

Have you checked for RSM?
Sue
Stoke on Trent

IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by IanW »

Most of it just looks like the natural woodish effect opuntia get as they age? Personally for me the woodish effect of many old opuntia is what I find most attractive about them. This is why I particularly like Brasiliopuntia brasiliensis as it's the most tree like out the lot although seeing some of the mature galapagos opuntia recently has renewed my interest in more than just B. Brasiliensis in the overall opuntia group. See here for an example of what I mean and why not to worry if your opuntia is going woody:

Opuntia, Galapagos Islands

Right at the top of the opuntia looks like there might be fruit/flower pod(s) that have perhaps failed to flower.

The rot pic I'm guessing due to cold, if it got cold and wet - maybe at some point it was pressing against the window where condensation was on a cold night? - then that's probably what caused it. The main thing is it looks like it's healed and survived it's ordeal.

They all look like they may be rather etiolated which means they're not getting enough light, hence also why they probably aren't flowering and hence why you have what appears to me at least a failed flower/fruit pod. Etiolation looks particularly prominent on the furthest left one where it's much fatter and healthier looking down the bottom.
erasmus666
Registered Guest

Post by erasmus666 »

Thanks for all your help on this. I've got a small leanto greenhouse outside my house. Should I move the cacti in there, either during the winter or permanently? I never thought that it might be getting old like yours truly. I've stopped watering it now as other threads on your excellent forum seem to indicate that one should stop now.

Regards

Michael