A few September flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A few September flowers

Post by iann »

I just noticed that Tee Dee is offering "Red Form" also. Both their plants and yours look like a normal spread of L. lesliei forms to me. There is no consistency of appearance that would suggest any selection or breeding for a particular character. Some are dull brown, some are red brown, some have open windows, some intricate lines, and a few more spotty than lined. Just standard L. lesliei. I suspect someone somewhere is just trying to push more plants by making up a name for something that doesn't merit one.
Cheshire, UK
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

Ya, for some reason TeeDee has started listing all the same plants we've been listing :shrugs: I guess the best form of flattery is mimickery...
They get them from that same nursery, so they are the same plants.
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Not all Lithops lesliei have the described tan body and reddish window. Some are grey and many have very dark or distinctly green windows. If you exclude those types then you could call all the rest "Red Form" :) After all, there is a longstanding "Grey Form" which is not particularly distinctive and not considered worthy of a variety name.
Cheshire, UK
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest

Post by CoronaCactus »

ugh... :)o

Thanks for the info.
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Ceropegia

Post by Lindsey »

I've just noticed a Ceropegia flower hiding among all the Astro and Turbi flowers. It's not C.radicans x stapeliiformis (= 'Spartan'): that can be seen in flower on http://northants.bcss.org.uk/nl163/nl163zone2.htm
That twisted corolla is distinctive, I've seen a photo somewhere, I'll do some research and report back. **
[size=large]And look, folks, there's a Ceropegia forum!!![/size](:D http://www.carookee.com/forum/ceropegia-forum
Might be a good place to hang around.

** Possibly C.ballyana??
http://www.ceropegia.minks-lang.de/cero ... yana1.html
A Kenyan species, not one I would grow here.
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Fredhead

Post by Lindsey »

And here's a young Fred's Redhead, it has one red and two brown siblings, one of which is flowering now.
[attachment 14325 fred.jpg]
Attachments
kRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAASAA8BAgAJAAAA5gAAABABAgAQAAAA8AAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAfGygBAwABAAAAAgAQGjEBAgAnAAAAAAEAADIBAgAUAAAAKAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAaGkZHAwABAAAAAAA6IxJQBAABAAAAAQAAAJiCAgAFAAAAPAEAAGmHBAABAAAAXgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAdKwKkAwABAAA
kRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAASAA8BAgAJAAAA5gAAABABAgAQAAAA8AAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAfGygBAwABAAAAAgAQGjEBAgAnAAAAAAEAADIBAgAUAAAAKAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAaGkZHAwABAAAAAAA6IxJQBAABAAAAAQAAAJiCAgAFAAAAPAEAAGmHBAABAAAAXgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAdKwKkAwABAAA (35.04 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest

Post by CoronaCactus »

Hi Lindsey,
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look more closely at the stems and leaves, as they both look similar.

Funny you mention the Ceropegia forum, i found that when researching that plant! Thats where i got the suggestion of it being 'Spartan'.
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com