How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Re: How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

Post by Patrick »

That's good news Marlon, have you had them in anything or just lying there like that?
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Hi Patrick,

No, I had them in a mix of coarse grit and vermiculite, hence the whitish-yellow colour of the offsets - they were growing underground. I just took the leaves out of the substrate today to see how they were doing, and after I noticed they had started to grow, I planted them back in the pot.

The leaves are quite dark because I kept the pot together with the other plants in the collection, and it was receiving a good amount of light. I was not watering the pot with the leaves very often, but I was giving it a light spray when watering the other plants. Too much water would probably led the leaves to rot - that was the reason I was keeping them in a very free draining substrate, in order to keep them a bit moist but not too wet.

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Yes, although mine were in mostly cat litter I think I watered them too much hence the rot:(. A good lesson.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Leonet
Registered Guest

Post by Leonet »

Thanks for guide me the way
Ario,Astro,Euphorbia and succ Lover In Thailand
[IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/ ... dols-3.gif[/IMG]
Bill H
BCSS Member
Branch: FIFE

Post by Bill H »

Do you need to use rooting powder or is it just a case of putting the plants in the growing medium (what mix)?
Regards,

Bill H

Angus, Scotland
BCSS Member No: 48806
Member of Fife BCSS
Started collecting in 2006
Always looking for show cacti
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Hi Bill

No rooting powder, just leave the leaves to dry out, then you can either leave them longer and plant them up when root nodules or plantlets form or insert them into any free draining substrate, such as pumice or premium lightweight cat litter or just your normal mix. I put mine in a propagator with bottom heat and sprayed them lightly until there was good root growth and then gradually upped the watering.

Hope that Helps.

Bill

=======================================
Website, Gallery and Wants
If you are in North Wales visitors are welcome PM/E-mail first and bring CAKE.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

well i am soon going to do some with my truncata plats. what do you thinks better. to leaf cut a whole plant or to get the outer leaves of of each plant?
in love with astrophytums and Haworthia truncata
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Depends on how much you value the plant Robert,

If it's special and the only one you have then make sure you leave enough for the plant to regenerate, on the other hand if you have a few or it's an easily replaceable plant then rip it to bits if you want. You choice really, I have heard that younger leaves (ie those from the centre) work better.

Mind you if it is nothing special then it's Ok for a practice but otherwise you might as well buy some seeds.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

they are all just normal truncata varieties no so may rip one up.
in love with astrophytums and Haworthia truncata
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

Post by Marlon Machado »

-- moved topic --
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.