Uhlig Kakteen --> the report !

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
FlorentG
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Uhlig Kakteen --> the report !

Post by FlorentG »

Hi!

I just finished my report about Uhlig Kakteen's greenhouses!
There is also some pics of the mother plants and of the seedlings!

http://www.plantes-succulentes.fr/visit ... t2008.html

Good Day,

Florent
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Uhlig Kakteen --> the report !

Post by Cactus Jack »

Thanks Florent :D
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

Some really nice plants.
Whats up with the Lophophora on the flag pole! :D

BTW, you have 2 pics marked as Discocactus sp., they are actually Uebelmannia. The purple is U. pectinifera, the green might also be, but could be another sp.
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

Thord
Registered Guest

Post by Thord »

Bonjour Florent ! Thanks for showing us all these beautiful plants.
You have been around quite a lot despite your age,have you not! I was especially pleased to see pictures from Andreas Wessner since i have visited him a couple of times and also bought plants through mail-order and always have gotten more plants than i have paid for.I should have visited him this summer,but got pneumonia while in Germany so had to stay in bed for the rest of the german trip.Made it to Pilz though..
Thord. All kinds of smallgrowing cacti.
FlorentG
Registered Guest

Post by FlorentG »

Yes Thord, I've been around quite a lot... may be too much :D
What a pitty you couldn't go again to Andreas this year! He is a very nice guy! He still write on the typewriter.:D Last time I was looking for some rare plants, and he even went in his own collection to give me some plants! He is very knowledgable!
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Interested in the third picture of Astrophytum myriostigma nudum. Were these mixed seeds, or were these the variation produced from nudum seeds which had reverted to the normal myriostigma forms in many cases?

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
FlorentG
Registered Guest

Post by FlorentG »

DaveW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interested in the third picture of Astrophytum
> myriostigma nudum. Were these mixed seeds, or
> were these the variation produced from nudum seeds
> which had reverted to the normal myriostigma forms
> in many cases?
>
> DaveW

Dave, most of the time when you make a seedling of cultivars (japanese) you always have 80-90% of normal plants and only 10-20% with cultivar patterns.Those plants are difficult to stabilize. I've even been told that when hybridizing a cultivar with a normal plant (for example A. asterias X A. asterias 'super kabuto') you get much more patterned plants!
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Thanks Florent, I did not realise they were intentional hybrids since it said nudum. As nudum has been described as a habitat form in the past I wondered if these were seeds produced off so called nudum's polinated with each other and were reverting to the normal spotted form, recessive genes etc.

It depends on your concept of myriostigma, but I have long suspected many of the so called myriostigma nudum's are simply green forms of many of it's so called varieties since they differ so much in rib formation and areole spacing, just as the myriostigma varieties do. Seemingly any Astrophytum can throw an untypical green form on occasion.
8A
8A (97.51 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
FlorentG
Registered Guest

Post by FlorentG »

Nice plants! Actually I didn't know that there was a natural Astrophytum myriostigma nudum.:) But as for Uhlig's seedlings, it is from the japanese cultivar nudum.
Amante
BCSS Member

Post by Amante »

Nice pictures Florent. The first picture labeled Discocactus species is another Uebelmannia pectinifera.

I have also sown seeds of A. myriostigma v. nudum and had seedlings of both A.myriostigma and nudum. The ratio of 'normal' to nudum displays the classical Mendelian inheritance trait.