Kilnwood Cacti

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Ray_M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK
Role within the BCSS: Publications Manager

Re: Kilnwood Cacti

Post by Ray_M »

Vic,i'm with Len,Thord and all the others,thanks very much for taking the time to post those photos.I think my group is planning a visit this year.Merry Christmas,Ray.
Ray Mitchell,member of South Norfolk group.living on Suffolk/Norfolk border,near Diss.Keen on all cacti and succulents,alpines and other plants.BCSS member since 07.Visitors welcome,PM first please.
Benjy
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Benjy »

Vic,
I visited Doug & Doreen about 7 years ago, 2001 i think it was, The Copiapoas and Eriosyce were the highlight of my visit,
i bought a couple of Eriosyce that day, which i still have now, even though most of my collection 100+ plants of Eriosyce has gone now.

The money tree is huge, the largest ive seen,
outside of the greenhouse, its under that green canopy, is it not, for the winter ?

Benjy

Just came back to edit my post,
Ive just noticed looking through the pictures again that youve actually written above the picture,
that the money plant is under the green canopy :duh: :lolbt:
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

You're most welcome, glad you all enjoyed the photos:)

Thord, only plants with a green label are for sale.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit Ray, plenty to see and Doug always getting new stock in for sale(tu)

Yes under the green canopy Benjy;), shame you had to part with most of your Eriosyce, I know you shared some pics with us recently. Any more, please?
Benjy
BCSS Member

Post by Benjy »

Vic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes under the green canopy Benjy;), shame you had
> to part with most of your Eriosyce, I know you
> shared some pics with us recently. Any more,
> please?

Just a couple of quick ones.
The Eriosyce (auratas etc) Ive kept.
'Neoporterias' all went, picture shows typical size, nothing huge.
[attachment 15676 Neoporterias.jpg]
Attachments
4THYRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgALAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAGAAAAnQAAABABAgAGAAAAowAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqQAAABsBBQABAAAAsQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAKAAAAuQAAADIBAgAVAAAAwwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2AAAAOIHAAAgICAgICAgICAgAE5JS09OAEU1NjAwACwBAAABAAAALAE
4THYRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgALAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAGAAAAnQAAABABAgAGAAAAowAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqQAAABsBBQABAAAAsQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAKAAAAuQAAADIBAgAVAAAAwwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2AAAAOIHAAAgICAgICAgICAgAE5JS09OAEU1NjAwACwBAAABAAAALAE (97.98 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
Benjy
BCSS Member

Post by Benjy »

5 or 6 of the 'Thelocephalas' in this pic were also kept,
because they are small.

[attachment 15677 Thelocephalas.jpg]
Attachments
4TajRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgALAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAGAAAAnQAAABABAgAGAAAAowAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqQAAABsBBQABAAAAsQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAKAAAAuQAAADIBAgAVAAAAwwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2AAAAOIHAAAgICAgICAgICAgAE5JS09OAEU1NjAwACwBAAABAAAALAE
4TajRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgALAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAGAAAAnQAAABABAgAGAAAAowAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqQAAABsBBQABAAAAsQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAKAAAAuQAAADIBAgAVAAAAwwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2AAAAOIHAAAgICAgICAgICAgAE5JS09OAEU1NjAwACwBAAABAAAALAE (98.64 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
Benjy
BCSS Member

Post by Benjy »

.....and have great flowers !

[attachment 15678 aerocarpa.jpg]
Attachments
4TIARXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgALAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAGAAAAnQAAABABAgAGAAAAowAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqQAAABsBBQABAAAAsQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAKAAAAuQAAADIBAgAVAAAAwwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2AAAAOIHAAAgICAgICAgICAgAE5JS09OAEU1NjAwACwBAAABAAAALAE
4TIARXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgALAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAGAAAAnQAAABABAgAGAAAAowAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqQAAABsBBQABAAAAsQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAKAAAAuQAAADIBAgAVAAAAwwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2AAAAOIHAAAgICAgICAgICAgAE5JS09OAEU1NjAwACwBAAABAAAALAE (92.78 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Thanks Benjy, nice plants and great flowers as you say:)

Hope some of mine perform as well in 2009!
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by David_L »

I love Eriosyce in the broad sense. My favourites are the smaller Neoporterias and especially the Thelocephalas. That 'fulva' is superb, one I don't have yet, though I've got various interesting things as small seedlings from Spiniflores seed.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Benjy
BCSS Member

Post by Benjy »

Theres seed David if you wish for that N. aerocarpa v.fulva,
in the seed pool - from that exact plant pictured above ^

Benjy
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Thought I’d give everyone a timely reminder of the Kilnwood Cactus Nursery now that the growing season has arrived and we can sort out what room we have to squeeze in just a few more plants.:ban:

It really is a fantastic place to go, even if just to look and drool at Doug’s superb collection. :notwo: His skill and enthusiasm in growing these plants is obvious from the moment you walk into the place and I have found all of his advice to be top notch.

The sales plants are constantly surprising, as being an established collector himself, Doug knows that we don’t want to always see the same things that we tend to get offered at other outlets. The garden is in a beautiful setting and parking is never a problem.

Oh, and I haven’t even mentioned the hospitality!!! Doreen always makes sure that any diet is immediately put on hold by offering ridiculously tasty snacks throughout.

This isn’t an attempt at free advertising. Just observations from a regular and very satisfied visitor and customer.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!