Grafting supports

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Grafting supports

Post by Nick »

Thought this deserved a new thread.

For stocks > 5mm diameter, I use double sided tape (1" lengths) on the 4 sides of the stock pot. I then stretch 2 strips of ladies tights material over the top of the stock and press it into the tape. I then put an elastic band, or some sellotape round the pot, as ocassionally, the tight material detaches itself from the tape.

For seedlings, i use two section of plant label stuck together, so as to give a flexible joint. One end has varying amounts of money (er - that would be coins) attached to it, to act as a weight.

A bit of a faff, but it works well for me!

Nick
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Grafting supports

Post by Phil_SK »

The only grafting I've ever been successful at is with seedlings on Pereskiopsis. I should qualify my 100% success rate by mentioning that I've only done it twice :). I used the cut-off corner of a transparent polythene bag with a couple of pennies stuck to it to weigh it down.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Grafting supports

Post by DaveW »

With seedlings grafts match head size when I used to do them they were just slightly pressed on with no further pressure applied in the form of bands. For larger scions over say 3/8" diameter you probably will need some method of pressure.

I have seen grafting stands made for smaller scions which were just a wooden base the pot stood on with an upright that had various notches for different heights cut in which just loosely held the end an approximately 3" x 1" x 1/8" thick piece of wood or glass that simply rested on the top of the scion, hinging on the stand and applying a little weight or pressure to it until it united. The slight weight of the glass or timber being all that was needed to hold the union until it knitted

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.