mirabilis or maraisii?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Lindsey
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

mirabilis or maraisii?

Post by Lindsey »

Just found this photo taken at Holly Gate Nursery before I had woken up to Haworthias. I can read a few letters on the label but I'm sure that someone can enlighten me, I don't understand the naming of retuse Haworthias :S Is there an obvious difference between these species that would help with ID?
[attachment 17157 DSCF0634.jpg]
Attachments
DSCF0634.jpg
DSCF0634.jpg (99.9 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: mirabilis or maraisii?

Post by iann »

My observations suggest that H. mirabilis has a smooth top with clearer somewhat reticulated windows. H. maraisii has rough leaves, often to the point of being spiny, the windows obscured by the warts. Probably there are more important differences.
Cheshire, UK
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Phil White »

Lindsey,
I would imagine that this is most likely to be H. mirabilis.
As for the term 'retuse' this is for Haworthias that are generally accepted as being from the section retusae.
HTH
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Lindsey
Registered Guest

Post by Lindsey »

Thanks, Ian and Phil! I had guessed at H.mirabilis.

I tend to use Bayer's "Haworthia Revisited" and as far as I'm aware he doesn't use a Section classification at all, so I'm confused with "Retusae" :S
Is this a problem with Bayer? Would I be better off looking elsewhere taxonomically, and if so, where?
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Phil White »

Lindsey,
I think you need to get Pilbeam's book. Until Bayers revison there were 3 books that were generally accepted by haworthia growers but all with differing opinions.
Pilbeam's is the easiest read and now somewhat dated because of Bayer's later revisions it is still the easiest to read (IMHO) and still a very good reference, from his Collector's guide :-

SECTION RETUSAE Haw.: upper leaf inflated to form more or less distinct end-area, tip somewhat transparent with green lines;

SUBSECTION Retusae leaf-tips recurved strongly, and/or end-area well defined-species:

H. comptoniana, H.emelyae, H. heidelbergensis, H.magnifica, H. mirabilis, H. mutica, H. pygmaea, H. retusa, H. springbokvlakensis;

SUBSECTION Turgidae subsect. nov: folia inflata, vix recurva, plerumque ad apicem extremum incurva; typus: H. turgida; leaves inflated, little recurving, usually incurving at the extreme tip; type: H. turgida;- species:

H. archeri. H. herbacea, H. maculata, H. nortieri, H. pubescens, H. reticulata, H. rycroftiana, H serrata, H turgida.

HTH & Happy Haworthia Growing.
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Lindsey
Registered Guest

Post by Lindsey »

Phil White Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lindsey,
> I think you need to get Pilbeam's book

I have the First Fifty and Second Fifty Haworthias booklets, will that do? I didn't think to look there!:embar:
lenbell
Registered Guest

Post by lenbell »

Hi Lindsey

Phil means "Haworthia & Astroloba - A Collector's Guide", which is long out of print, but still findable at acceptable prices, unlike Haworthia Revisited, which you are very lucky to have. Tho behind the taxonomic times, Pilbeam's book is still very useful, as he knows how to communicate.
Len Bell, Born-again Colchester member of the Clacton Branch BCSS; Mesemb Study Group; Mamm Soc & Haworthia Soc.
On the Forum since Sept 2007. Particularly keen on ... Lithops; Adros; Haworthias; Mamms;Lobivias;
Eriosyce; Euphorbias; Astros; Notos; Conos; Aloes; Agaves; Feros; Stenos; Echinocerei; Etc.; Etc.; ...
View a few at: http://picasaweb.google.com/len84bell/
Fellow Forum followers' visitations welcome. Please PM first.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

An important rule for identifying those old "heritage" Haworthias which have been knocking around in cultivation for decades:

Don't believe the label!

The photo is a pretty normal H. retusa i.m.h.o.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Past HawSoc Chairman