labelling disaster

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Peter B
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: labelling disaster

Post by Peter B »

If you use pencil on white labels you just use a rubber to erase as you would with pencil on paper.

Peter B Manchester Branch
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents
Benjy
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Benjy »

Peter B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you use pencil on white labels you just use a
> rubber to erase as you would with pencil on paper.

(tu) yep, its that easy ! :)
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Serena, are they the sort which all need the same conditions until they tell you who they are?

I keep labels which I get in other plants, then use a pencil to write on the other side. And if your babies don't germinate, you can use a rubber and recycle the label.

If you run out, you can cut up yoghurt pots and write on those.

Once a student, always a padlock-pockets. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Alan Clark
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Alan Clark »

Remember that your pencil will last longer if you don't bother to dot your I's and J's. :)
Interested in cacti (particularly Echinopsis, Rebutia, Sulcorebutia, Lobivia, Gymnos and Chamaelobivia), Stapeliads, Sempervivums, and anything else that takes my fancy.
lenbell
Registered Guest

Post by lenbell »

If you have to test your blood glucose levels, and use an Accu-chek meter, you can soon build up a useful stock of spent test strips. Even if you don't test every day. These are made of some sort of super strength plastic (nylon?), and tho small and fiddly, will take pencil or quick-drying marker. You may well have noticed them in photos I have posted where I've left the label in. The tags will last forever (claim not tested), and you could bury the in the pot in case the main label got lost.
I give all my plants and seeds an "acquisition" or reference number, and for seeds I just use one of these tags with the ref number and date of sowing. I work on the basis that it is presumptious to write out a full label before the seeds germinate. The tags have a shiny surface so I use pencils between 2B and F grade. These are the grades I reckon you need to get a decent job on ordinary labels, although I mainly use marker pens for proper labels.
I feel sure you will all have enjoyed these additional thoughts on this vexing subject.
Serena, I feel that next year we will all be playing "spot that cactus" with your seedlings.
Len Bell, Born-again Colchester member of the Clacton Branch BCSS; Mesemb Study Group; Mamm Soc & Haworthia Soc.
On the Forum since Sept 2007. Particularly keen on ... Lithops; Adros; Haworthias; Mamms;Lobivias;
Eriosyce; Euphorbias; Astros; Notos; Conos; Aloes; Agaves; Feros; Stenos; Echinocerei; Etc.; Etc.; ...
View a few at: http://picasaweb.google.com/len84bell/
Fellow Forum followers' visitations welcome. Please PM first.