UH oh! You know what this means!!!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
lenbell
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: UH oh! You know what this means!!!

Post by lenbell »

Superb close-ups (again), Brian.
Len Bell, Born-again Colchester member of the Clacton Branch BCSS; Mesemb Study Group; Mamm Soc & Haworthia Soc.
On the Forum since Sept 2007. Particularly keen on ... Lithops; Adros; Haworthias; Mamms;Lobivias;
Eriosyce; Euphorbias; Astros; Notos; Conos; Aloes; Agaves; Feros; Stenos; Echinocerei; Etc.; Etc.; ...
View a few at: http://picasaweb.google.com/len84bell/
Fellow Forum followers' visitations welcome. Please PM first.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Lovely plant, flowers & photos! Shame it marks the end...
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Julie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> How tall is it Brian? It seems to be about 18
> inches high.

Been out with the tape measure and I suppose you could be considerered correct. The stem is just over 18" tall to the point where the first flowering branch begins. Seeing as it bends over at that point you are more or less spot on. The flowering branches extend for another 9.5". Incidentally the rosette, as can be seen, is flattening out and measures 11.5" diameter.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Just thought I'd add this pic - a sort of closure!

As you see, no offsets or branching. I did take off some lower leaves of the flowering stem,
a couple of which appeared to root weakly before shrivelling up.

[attachment 21051 Aaureum_finale_01.jpg]
Attachments
+EbLGh0dHA6Ly9ucy5hZG9iZS5jb20veGFwLzEuMC8APD94cGFja2V0IGJlZ2luPSLvu78iIGlkPSJXNU0wTXBDZWhpSHpyZVN6TlRjemtjOWQiPz4KPHg6eG1wbWV0YSB4bWxuczp4PSJhZG9iZTpuczptZXRhLyIgeDp4bXB0az0iQWRvYmUgWE1QIENvcmUgNC4yLjI
+EbLGh0dHA6Ly9ucy5hZG9iZS5jb20veGFwLzEuMC8APD94cGFja2V0IGJlZ2luPSLvu78iIGlkPSJXNU0wTXBDZWhpSHpyZVN6TlRjemtjOWQiPz4KPHg6eG1wbWV0YSB4bWxuczp4PSJhZG9iZTpuczptZXRhLyIgeDp4bXB0az0iQWRvYmUgWE1QIENvcmUgNC4yLjI (60.58 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the long sequence of shots - excellent.

I've lost several aeoniums this way over the years. Sad isn't it?!

But here's "your" Aeonium aureum growing on a soft bank on Gran Canaria.

[attachment 21058 Aeoniumaureum1.jpg]
Attachments
4ReZRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgABwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAYgEbAAUAAAABAAAAagEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAUAAAAcgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAhodpAAQAAAABAAAAnAAAAMgAAAEsAAAAAQAAASwAAAABQWRvYmUgUGhvdG9zaG9wIDcuMAAyMDA5OjEwOjAyIDEwOjAwOjM2AAAAAAOgAQA
4ReZRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgABwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAYgEbAAUAAAABAAAAagEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAUAAAAcgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAhodpAAQAAAABAAAAnAAAAMgAAAEsAAAAAQAAASwAAAABQWRvYmUgUGhvdG9zaG9wIDcuMAAyMDA5OjEwOjAyIDEwOjAwOjM2AAAAAAOgAQA (95.21 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

And here's a closer shot. This was taken in August so the plants are in their summer resting state when the rosettes dry up to tight "cups".

[attachment 21059 Aeoniumaureum2.jpg]
Attachments
4RWeRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgABwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAYgEbAAUAAAABAAAAagEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAUAAAAcgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAhodpAAQAAAABAAAAnAAAAMgAAAEsAAAAAQAAASwAAAABQWRvYmUgUGhvdG9zaG9wIDcuMAAyMDA5OjEwOjAyIDA5OjU4OjM3AAAAAAOgAQA
4RWeRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgABwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAYgEbAAUAAAABAAAAagEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAUAAAAcgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAhodpAAQAAAABAAAAnAAAAMgAAAEsAAAAAQAAASwAAAABQWRvYmUgUGhvdG9zaG9wIDcuMAAyMDA5OjEwOjAyIDA5OjU4OjM3AAAAAAOgAQA (95.31 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Poor old plant. Still, he lives on in the wild.

Amazing how the cups are so much more closed than Brian's where the leaves are just about flat out.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Nice pictures Colin and the plant's aspect confirms my thoughts on why the flower stem hangs down as opposed to aeoniums with upright flowers.

Hi Julie, the plants in Colin's pictures are dormant. I have pictures of my plant looking the same during previous summer months.

Anyway, things were not so gloomy, as when the flowers dried up I was able to do some investigation..........

[attachment 21064 Aeonium_aureum_seeds_01.jpg]
Attachments
+EbLGh0dHA6Ly9ucy5hZG9iZS5jb20veGFwLzEuMC8APD94cGFja2V0IGJlZ2luPSLvu78iIGlkPSJXNU0wTXBDZWhpSHpyZVN6TlRjemtjOWQiPz4KPHg6eG1wbWV0YSB4bWxuczp4PSJhZG9iZTpuczptZXRhLyIgeDp4bXB0az0iQWRvYmUgWE1QIENvcmUgNC4yLjI
+EbLGh0dHA6Ly9ucy5hZG9iZS5jb20veGFwLzEuMC8APD94cGFja2V0IGJlZ2luPSLvu78iIGlkPSJXNU0wTXBDZWhpSHpyZVN6TlRjemtjOWQiPz4KPHg6eG1wbWV0YSB4bWxuczp4PSJhZG9iZTpuczptZXRhLyIgeDp4bXB0az0iQWRvYmUgWE1QIENvcmUgNC4yLjI (53.03 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Yes my plant has successfully self-seeded.
The viable seed can be seen here at approximately .75mm long

[attachment 21066 Aeonium_aureum_seeds_02.jpg]
Attachments
+EbLGh0dHA6Ly9ucy5hZG9iZS5jb20veGFwLzEuMC8APD94cGFja2V0IGJlZ2luPSLvu78iIGlkPSJXNU0wTXBDZWhpSHpyZVN6TlRjemtjOWQiPz4KPHg6eG1wbWV0YSB4bWxuczp4PSJhZG9iZTpuczptZXRhLyIgeDp4bXB0az0iQWRvYmUgWE1QIENvcmUgNC4yLjI (68.47 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Now if I wanted to be completely cheesey, this is where I would start singing Elton John's 'Circle of Life', but a quick test sowing revealed that the seed is good and freely germinating.

[attachment 21067 Aeonium_aureum_seedlings_01.jpg]
Attachments
+EbLGh0dHA6Ly9ucy5hZG9iZS5jb20veGFwLzEuMC8APD94cGFja2V0IGJlZ2luPSLvu78iIGlkPSJXNU0wTXBDZWhpSHpyZVN6TlRjemtjOWQiPz4KPHg6eG1wbWV0YSB4bWxuczp4PSJhZG9iZTpuczptZXRhLyIgeDp4bXB0az0iQWRvYmUgWE1QIENvcmUgNC4yLjI (59.96 KiB) Viewed 1748 times