Ey up, from Yorkshire Matt

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
YorkshireMatt
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Ey up, from Yorkshire Matt

Post by YorkshireMatt »

Hello folks,

i thought i would introduce myself, my name is Matthew i am from Doncaster, South Yorkshire.
i am 22 this year and have a great interest in many things, including cactus.
i don't know a great deal at all about the different species although i have picked up abit in the past months.
i have had cactus for 11 years nowt special species wise, but i have an interest all the same, i just thought i'd share where my interest stems from

one of my favourate's is an old echinopsis (of some sort) i was given by a friend who was emigrating, its never been the nicest looking of speciemens, comprising of the main 'leader' who is somewhat wonky in shape followed by quite a few small offsets. This speciemen sat on a windowsill for a good 9 years never really altering in size, then finally it had one bud and then a flower which was massive - i never realised how big some cactus flowers are. This year i finally decided that it might be handy to have a few more so i took off and potted 4 of the offsets, and i also re-potted the original plant.

i am hoping to get a few different echinopsis if anyone can recommend anywhere.

My other cactus species that founded my interest is some kind of Rebutia, this one was inherited, and initially was put in the wrong place which led to it getting all bar two offsets knocked off,in time it recovered, was re-potted and went on to flower, i was very impressed, and now have a small army of propagated plants.

i have obviously increased my collected abit to include others

well thats me folks, i haven't had chance to read a great deal on here but i have seen some fantastic photos posted - i hope in the future given time i can attend Sheffield branch meetings - as its allus good to meet like minded people whatever the interest may be

i believe i know 'Matchat' on here (i assume it is you anyway)

Matthew
lenbell
Registered Guest

Re: Ey up, from Yorkshire Matt

Post by lenbell »

Welcome to the forum, Matthew.
Len Bell, Born-again Colchester member of the Clacton Branch BCSS; Mesemb Study Group; Mamm Soc & Haworthia Soc.
On the Forum since Sept 2007. Particularly keen on ... Lithops; Adros; Haworthias; Mamms;Lobivias;
Eriosyce; Euphorbias; Astros; Notos; Conos; Aloes; Agaves; Feros; Stenos; Echinocerei; Etc.; Etc.; ...
View a few at: http://picasaweb.google.com/len84bell/
Fellow Forum followers' visitations welcome. Please PM first.
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Hey Matt,

As soon as I read the title of the post I knew it had to be you! It's nice to see that you have come over to the dark side. Perhaps you can knock down an aviary and build a nice big greenhouse in its place ;-)

Good choice with the Echinopsis and Rebutias by the way, they are both spectacular genus' of plants to grow and will survive unheated greenhouse conditions too. If you do come to a Sheffield branch meeting I could probably find some cuttings and whatnot for you to have.

Final plug - 30th & 31st May we are having our annual show at the botanic gardens, near the lower Ecclesall rd entrance. There will be a good display of mature plants and plenty of plants for sale too. If you're free you'd be made very welcome, I should be there helping out on the Saturday.

All the best - Mat
sechjoh
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by sechjoh »

Hello Matthew and :welc:
/Christer DPP4, Capture One 10, CombineZM
YorkshireMatt
Registered Guest

Post by YorkshireMatt »

thanks for the introductions folks,

Mat i sent an email to your yahoo email address a couple of weeks ago

i already have a greenhouse but that is full with bedding plants and my pelargoniums - the only time it is something like empty is late june until i take my first cuttings for next years stock.

i did notice that there was a show at Sheffield but unfortunaately i doubt i can make it because one day i am in birmingham and the other i am in the lake districts

regards

Matthew
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Matthew
Welcome to the forum
If you look here http://www.cactus-mall.com/nursery/nlistuk.html there is a few nurseries in the UK
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Abbey Brook is probably the closest Nursery to you Matt and he has a massive amount of Echinopsis hybrids with different shapes and sizes and different colours, but also a lot of pure species too.

From Doncaster you'll probably go along the M18 and then just a couple of junctions down the M1 and you're almost there -

http://www.abbeybrookcacti.com/

Alternatively if you come North a bit there's Oak Dene, just on the other side of Barnsley to Doncaster, might even be closer depending on where in Doncaster you are, junction 37 off the A1, follow that road through Marr nad Hickleton for about 6 miles crossing 2 roundabouts, turn right at the 3rd roundabout, then left at the bottom of the hill, follow along past 2 more roundabouts, continue straight until you hit a 3rd, first left until you hit another roundabout, turn right, then left at the lights (2nd left), follow that road through a small town called Shafton until you reach some windy roads, keep following until you hit a cross roads, straight on at the crossroads, follow round a sharp bend to the left, then follow round a sharp bend to the right, take next left, follow that road straight through to a cross roads, turn left at the x-roads, follow round to a sharp left bend with a junction on it, turn right into that bend, follow that road along until you hit a pub, turn first right past the pub and the nursery is down a driveway to your right, you'll see the greenhouses down the path if you keep looking right! It sounds more complicated than it is, it's about a 25minute drive from junction 37 of the A1 mostly along straight roads. Their site is -

http://www.cactus-mall.com/oakdene/index.html
Robert P
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by Robert P »

hi Matthew welcome to the forum
Robert
Cambridgeshire
Collecter of all types of cacti, especially ferocactus BCSS 49595
YorkshireMatt
Registered Guest

Post by YorkshireMatt »

Many thanks for the further introductions etc

I have been to the nursery at Matlock - very impressive, we spent an hour and a half going through the greenhouses.

I also went to the one in Barnsley, which was upside down because of the reovations, its a shame they have lost a few speciemens and they have quite a few that are suffering because of it, but i'm sure it will be great once complete. They were very friendly towards me.

regards

Matthew
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Hi Matt, :welc: to the forum! You'll learn lots here, sounds as if you are well and truly "hooked"!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!