Help with re-homing our Harissia ...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris J
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Help with re-homing our Harissia ...

Post by Chris J »

Dear Forum Members,

Can anyone assist ... - We have a 30 year old Harissia cactus that has been happily inhabiting the corner of our double height conservatory for the last 20 years, except now we're due to have a new single storey conservative built and so will no longer have room to accomodate this beautiful cactus .... We are loathe to just destroy it as it has been in my wife's family for over 30 years ... It stands approx 10 feet tall and 2 feet wide .... Is there anyone out there that has the room to give it a good home ... ?

We are based in East Hampshire and wouldn't want anything for the cactus - just the knowledge that it will go to a good home and be looked after ... Failing this can anyone recommend an nursery or garden Centre that will take it in ... It would look fantastic in the foyer of a Mexican restaurant although the spines would probably present a health and safety issue .... Any help or advice would be gratefully accepted ...

Sneaker
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Help with re-homing our Harissia ...

Post by Cactus Jack »

Would love to help but am too far away ! A photo might help entice someone to make contact .
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Mike D
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mike D »

The mere thought of trying to accommodate a 10 foot Harrisia in a single storey conservative brings tears to the eyes!
Mike from deepest Somerset.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I'm guessing at that size that it hasn't been repotted in a while. Why not butcher it down to a 2' stump, repot it and stand back? It'll zoom off and be yours to enjoy for years to come. Give away the bits if it makes you feel better or keep one for yourself, for insurance.

Moving the plant intact might be a real limitation to the people who could want it.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Philip B
BCSS Member

Post by Philip B »

Manchester University Botanical Gardens would take it but you are too far away.
Any such gardens near you might be interested.
Philip
Manchester Branch

Supplier of Pots and Bowls (BEF Square Pots)
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Stuart Estell »

I'm with Phil - I'd cut it back and keep it. In fact I do this with my several selenicereus/heliocereus types quite regularly.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

I'd be tempted to keep a small part myself too. Even if you manage to give it away whole, why not keep a pad or two for yourself?

I don't think it would fit in my little flat.... ;)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.