first attempt at germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Alec N
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORWICH

first attempt at germination

Post by Alec N »

I have sowed 4 packets of seed, notocactus mixed, euphorbia mixed,ferocactus mixed, dioscorea elephantipes, This is my first attempt at growing cactus seed, I first washed and dried the pots before sowing, then dribbled water in the saucers to soak up water from underneath after I sowed them.
I found the temperature in the greenhouse is dropping to 11 overnight so I have placed them on a sunny windowsill indoors where the temperature stays between 20 to 30 day and night.
Should I add more water to the saucers on a regular basis or just rely on the moistish compost and condensation already inside the bags ?
Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.
[attachment 19095 P5120009.JPG]
Attachments
P5120009.JPG
P5120009.JPG (57.33 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Alec N

Norfolk
Small general collection of cacti.
BCSS 49657
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: first attempt at germination

Post by IanW »

Some sealable bags tend to leak over time I've noticed and pots can become dry and humidity drop eventually, but it usually takes a few months. As long as you made sure it was plenty damp enough to start with you shouldn't need to worry about additional water for a while yet.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

If you can find some large enough resealable bags you could seal the pots inside (i.e. have the bags the other way up) and not have to worry about adding water for ages, maybe a year. Also if you flick the bags the condensation droplets will run to the bottom, or the edge of the pot, admitting more light and letting you see what is going on.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Alec N
Registered Guest
Branch: NORWICH

Post by Alec N »

Thanks for that, good ideas there,I'll see what happens.
Alec N

Norfolk
Small general collection of cacti.
BCSS 49657