Argentina & Chile -- November 2008 -- Day 11-- La Quiaca to JuJuy --234km

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
David_L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Argentina & Chile -- November 2008 -- Day 11-- La Quiaca to JuJuy --234km

Post by David_L »

A closer view.

[attachment 19146 Abrometiella_lawrenciana2.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEABIODg4QDhUQEBUeExETHiMaFRUaIyIYGBoYGCInHiIhISIeJycuMDMwLic+PkFBPj5BQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBFBMTFhkWGxcXGxoWGhYaIRodHRohMSEhJCEhMT4tJycnJy0+ODszMzM7OEFBPj5
2wCEABIODg4QDhUQEBUeExETHiMaFRUaIyIYGBoYGCInHiIhISIeJycuMDMwLic+PkFBPj5BQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBFBMTFhkWGxcXGxoWGhYaIRodHRohMSEhJCEhMT4tJycnJy0+ODszMzM7OEFBPj5 (98.98 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

A close up of the Cleistocactus hyalacanthus showing the flower and fruit.

[attachment 19147 Cleistocactus_hyalacanthus4.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4LCAgLDhANDQ4NDRARDA4ODg4MERATFBUUExAZGRsbGRklJCQkJSkpKSkpKSkpKSkBCQgICQoJCwoKCw4MDgwOEg4ODg4SFA4ODw4OFBoSEBAQEBIaFxgVFRUYFxwcGho
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4LCAgLDhANDQ4NDRARDA4ODg4MERATFBUUExAZGRsbGRklJCQkJSkpKSkpKSkpKSkBCQgICQoJCwoKCw4MDgwOEg4ODg4SFA4ODw4OFBoSEBAQEBIaFxgVFRUYFxwcGho (99.22 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Trichocereus pasacana was ubiquitous in the area. Here's a rather nice one with some of the bromeliad in the background.

[attachment 19148 Trichocereus_pasacana.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEABENDQ0ODRIODhIaEQ8RGh8XEhIXHyIXFxcXFyIjGx4dHR4bIyMpKi0qKSM2Njs7NjZBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBEhERFBYUGBUVGBcTFxMXHRcZGRcdKx0dIB0dKzgoIyMjIyg4MjUtLS01Mjw8ODg
2wCEABENDQ0ODRIODhIaEQ8RGh8XEhIXHyIXFxcXFyIjGx4dHR4bIyMpKi0qKSM2Njs7NjZBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBEhERFBYUGBUVGBcTFxMXHRcZGRcdKx0dIB0dKzgoIyMjIyg4MjUtLS01Mjw8ODg (99.53 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
David

Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

After a while it started to spot with rain and we returned to the van for a trip south. [attachment 19293 d1.jpg]
The clouds followed us and those parched plants back on the hillside were probably having a wonderful shower.
Attachments
2wCEAAMCAgICAgMCAgMFAwMDBQUEAwMEBQYFBQUFBQYIBgcHBwcGCAgJCgoKCQgMDAwMDAwODg4ODhAQEBAQEBA
2wCEAAMCAgICAgMCAgMFAwMDBQUEAwMEBQYFBQUFBQYIBgcHBwcGCAgJCgoKCQgMDAwMDAwODg4ODhAQEBAQEBA (57.25 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

We finally stopped on the edge of some dense woodland. I am not sure of the name of this location but it was very curious. We parked and started out searching for a Rebutia by walking up a stream....(no this was not an after affect of the Coca tea)..odd I thought. David being sensible gave up after a few meters. Light levels were low so there is some blurring in these images......
[attachment 19294 dd1.jpg]
Seriously we were looking for a Rebutia....
Attachments
2wCEAA0JCQkKCQ0KCg0TDAsMExYRDQ0RFhoVFRYVFRoZFBYVFRYUGRkdHyAfHRknJyoqJyc5ODg4OUBAQEBAQEB
2wCEAA0JCQkKCQ0KCg0TDAsMExYRDQ0RFhoVFRYVFRoZFBYVFRYUGRkdHyAfHRknJyoqJyc5ODg4OUBAQEBAQEB (87.73 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

It became wetter and steeper and the sides of the gorge closed in. Everything was wet and slippery and my lightweight walking boots soon became soggy. And there was not a Rebutia to be seen.
[attachment 19295 ddd1.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4KCAgKDhANDQ4NDRARDA4NDQ4MEQ8SExQTEg8YGBoaGBgjIiIiIycnJycnJyc
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4KCAgKDhANDQ4NDRARDA4NDQ4MEQ8SExQTEg8YGBoaGBgjIiIiIycnJycnJyc (90.8 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Eventually Willy and Tito decided to call it a day and we slid back down the gorge.
I spotted several Begonias growing here some of which look exactly like ones I have seen as house plants.
[attachment 19297 dddd1.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4KCAgKDhANDQ4NDRARDA4NDQ4MEQ8SExQTEg8YGBoaGBgjIiIiIycnJycnJyc
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4KCAgKDhANDQ4NDRARDA4NDQ4MEQ8SExQTEg8YGBoaGBgjIiIiIycnJycnJyc (83.59 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Here they are growing amongst this beautiful arching grass making a very attractive hillside.
[attachment 19298 ddddd1.jpg]
Yes this is pretty much the right way up.
Attachments
2wCEAAoHBwcIBwoICAoOCQgJDhENCgoNERQQEBEQEBQTDxEQEBEPExMXFxkXFxMeHiAgHh4sKysrLDExMTExMTE
2wCEAAoHBwcIBwoICAoOCQgJDhENCgoNERQQEBEQEBQTDxEQEBEPExMXFxkXFxMeHiAgHh4sKysrLDExMTExMTE (94.6 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Whilst I was scrabbling around looking at the Begonias I spotted a very interesting looking toad. I was too wary to pick it up (it being black and red which usually means something like 'I am toxic leave me alone') but Louis was made of sterner stuff. As soon as it was on his hand it rolled over to reveal the full extent of its colouring which must be a defence mechanism.
[attachment 19299 dddddd1.jpg]
After a while Louis relesed it and went off to wash his hands in the stream.
Attachments
2wCEAAYEBAQFBAYFBQYJBgUGCQsIBgYICwwKCgsKCgwQDAwMDAwMEAwODxAPDgwTExQUExMcGxsbHB8fHx8fHx8
2wCEAAYEBAQFBAYFBQYJBgUGCQsIBgYICwwKCgsKCgwQDAwMDAwMEAwODxAPDgwTExQUExMcGxsbHB8fHx8fHx8 (83.65 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

A few shots of the scenery as we came lower in the main valley. There were some extraordinary eroded rock formations. I guess this 'rock' is very soft. More likely mudstone and erodes very easily in the torrential rainstorms to wich the area is obviously prone.

[attachment 19443 eroded_rock.jpg]
Attachments
9sAhAALCAgICAgLCAgLEAoJChATDgsLDhMWERETEREWFRESEhISERUVGRobGhk
9sAhAALCAgICAgLCAgLEAoJChATDgsLDhMWERETEREWFRESEhISERUVGRobGhk (98.74 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
David

Bromley Branch