root mealy

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ron S
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

root mealy

Post by Ron S »

On repotting i find one or two plants have root mealy infecting them

Can anyone give me a cure ?

I will be commencing to water in about 10 days

thankyou in advance

Ron S.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: root mealy

Post by Chris43 »

If its only a few plants, I would make up some Provado and dunk the roots in them, and then dry them off in a warm room. I know its a bit early, especially after the winter we've had (still having?), but hopefully bringing them into the warm will avoid any rot.
I would wait until they have dried out fully before potting them up again, and then give a little water with Provado, keeping them still in the warm, and repeat a couple of times (fortnightly?), and then re-introduce to the others.
As far as the others you have, once you've started to water, make the next few Provado ones. You never know if the nasties have crawled into any other pots.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Torbjorn
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Torbjorn »

Hello,
I agree Provado, I have the same active substance in Confidor WP, is very effectiv against root mealies.
Can you still buy it in th UK?
For me a single watering with Confidor, the 2'nd or 3'rd watering in the season has kept my collection essentially free of mealies, and rootmealies for many years.
It is more efficient if the plants are in active growth, then the substance is systemically active.
All new plants are kept separate, until treated with Confidor.
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

If one or two plants have them, probably more do. If it was me, I'd treat the entire collection as described by Torbjörn. In fact I do treat my entire collection with Provado every year, or every two years at the longest.
Cheshire, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

I'd agree with iann. I dont think that treating more often (ie every couple of weeks), will do anything apart from potentially add toxicity from the insecticide to the plant. Provado is a very persistent substance and in my experience a single dip of provado to new bare root plants is sufficient to prevent root mealy, without having to water the compost. When I had a small outbreak from a new badly quarantined plant a couple of years ago, washing off the compost of affected plants and then dipping them bare root worked fine.
sechjoh
Registered Guest

Post by sechjoh »

I am sorry if I sound stupid, but what kind of Provado is it that you can water your plant with and/or dip the roots in? :shrugs:

The kind our store provide is in spray form or sticks that you put in the pot. I assume that Bayer is the name of the company that produce it?
/Christer DPP4, Capture One 10, CombineZM
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
penforpen
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by penforpen »

Hi there, Christer

What you have asked is fair since its fair to point out that I have found
Provado Mix Type Solution much harder to find.

I can't say about the stocks over in Sweden since they may be Other Types, but Use the Link from Geroff Lovell as shown above.

You want the type you mix up yourself as its much eaiser to find the ready mix type now.

Its shown at that site.

But I should say that you would have a Item in your Own Garden Shop or other type Centre.

That cemical is used in the EU anyway.

For the Cheapest option and the One you can use from any DIY shop.

Is METHYLATED SPIRITS DUNK THE PLANTS ROOT INTO THIS AND THEY DIE.

But wash it off ?:baringt:
Berkhamstead Branch Hertfordshire Zone 6 Area
Committee Member & Berkhamstead & Show Secretary
BCSS Number 42673
10x8 Greenhouse, Small Collection of Slow Growing Cacti Along with Succulents and a few weird Caudiciforms plants Much Loved Group of Plants and few Euphobia's Etc.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

You can dunk or water with the spray solution if you like. Its already diluted to the right level, but it works out pretty expensive if you have more than a couple of plants. Or you could just spray them, since it is a systemic insecticide and will spread through the plant. Since you have root mealies and nothing else (fingers crossed), you might as well put the poison directly on the roots and not bother with potentially messing up the body.

Provado Ultimate is a common choice because you get enough concentrate to make enough insecticide for a whole greenhouse of plants. Provado Vine Weevil Killer is another option. In fact since they reformulated them they are exactly the same thing.

You could use the sticks but I don't recommend them. The active ingredient is basically the same, but you'll find it difficult to spray a stick on a particular plant when the need arises. They release insecticide continuously into the soil over an extended period which I don't like.
Cheshire, UK
Torbjorn
BCSS Member

Post by Torbjorn »

Hej,
Until last summer Confidor WG 70 was available also for non licensed users, at least in Germany. The active substance is imidacloprid.
After this, a weaker preparation is available as Provado WG5. It can be bought from Kakteen Schwarz, or Haage in Germany. I have not seen it in shops in Sweden.
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden