Range of Eriosyce paucicostata

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Range of Eriosyce paucicostata

Post by DaveW »

Yes if we are not boring everybody we can keep it here. The second picture with almost a Copiapoa type chalky-bluish-green body is as I remember the paucicostata's from Ritter's seed (sold by his sister Frau Winter). The tall green one in the first picture would be his v. viridis, now all sunk under paucicostata. I will have to go through what I have and sort out some more stuff then.

Dave
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

I wish I knew more about this genus to add to the conversation. But I am enjoying the information provided and would very much like to read more.

Well, I do have photos of plants to add that fit in.
(ya, I know...big surprise :roll: :lol: )
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

Torbjorn
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Torbjorn »

Hello,
Please keep the exchange here!
It is a useful source of information to search sooner or later!
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden
Jens
BCSS Member

Post by Jens »

Hello some more -paucicostata-?!
The one with the brown epidermis could resemble Pyrrhocactus neohankeanus v. flaviflorus.The plant had Chilean disease that causes apical scaring , that isn´t fatal in most cases but leads to the development of multiple smaller heads from the apex - (happens in other non- chilean genera like Turbinicarpus or lophophora too).
Eriosyce taltalensis ssp. paucicostata
The Pyrrhocactus neohankeanus v. flaviflorus is the one in the front to the left.
4x Eriosyce taltalensis ssp. paucicostata
4x Eriosyce taltalensis ssp. paucicostata
I.m. not shure what this paucicostata would be called according to Ritter. It obviously is different from the blue bodied form. It stays green no matter how much sun it gets. Its the one in front to the right in the previous picture.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

The green bodied form was Ritter's variety P. paucicostata v. viridis, the varietal name means green.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Jens
BCSS Member

Post by Jens »

Oh , I thought you meant the green bodied one with the pinkish flowers in the back to the right.
Does the Py. paucicostatus v. viridis come in difffernt flower colours?
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

There is obviously some variation in flower colour in any wild population, but the basic flower colour for both paucicostata and v. viridis is whitish-cream inner petals with varying degrees of red on outer ones. As the original description says:-

"Stamens; white, more or less tinged green, the lowermost 0.75-1cm long, the uppermost 1-1.5 cm long; anthers small, pale citron-colour, extending not altogether as far as halfway up the flower.
Style; carmine colour, 2.2-2.4cm long, 1.5mm thick, with 8-10 cream coloured 3mm long stigma lobes, that approximately equal the anthers or slightly exceed these.
Petals; 1.7-2cm long, 3-5mm broad, shorter or longer the innermost white, the outermost more pink, with white margin."

The plant in your picture looks like the flowers are just opening and most new flowers are usually a darker shade when they first open and fade as the flower ages.

DaveW
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

A few pictures of Eriosyce paucicostata in habitat North of Paposo and close to the sea from my trip with Mike in 2008. First the habitat.
Habitat of Eriosyce paucicostata North of Paposo, Chile
Habitat of Eriosyce paucicostata North of Paposo, Chile
Also at this location were Eulychnia sp. and Copiapoa cinerea var. haseltoniana. Some typical plants:
Eriosyce paucicostata
Eriosyce paucicostata
Eriosyce paucicostata
Eriosyce paucicostata
Eriosyce paucicostata
Eriosyce paucicostata
Eriosyce paucicostata
Eriosyce paucicostata
Last edited by David_L on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

One more habitat shot.
Eriosyce paucicostata
Eriosyce paucicostata
A picture of a plant in my collection raised from seed from this population collected by Roger Ferryman in 1982. This has his collection number RMF57.
Eriosyce paucicostata RMF57
Eriosyce paucicostata RMF57
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Mine was flowering today. I must try to get a photo. It has a blue-grey body similar to the habitat plants.
Cheshire, UK