In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!

In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

Aphids
2%
Fungus/Rot/Damping off
14%
Mealy bugs
26%
Mice
1%
Red spider mite
20%
Root mealy bugs
18%
Scale insects
4%
Sciarid fly
6%
Snails
5%
Western flower thrip
4%

Total votes: 942
Pete A
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Re: In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulen

Post by Pete A »

iann wrote:My bad. I fully intended to add a picture :oops:
caterpillar-120211.jpg
This is the same damn thing that just munched it's way through four of my smaller Ariocarpus! I followed the trail of eaten plants and found it curled up, sleeping off its large lunch.
Zone 8 Representative (Birmingham, High Wycombe, Kingston-on-Thames, Oxford, Reading & Basingstoke, Woking).
Flavio
Registered Guest

Post by Flavio »

Interesting Poll. Just a thought..........How about a thread addressing the control of/treatment for the top three? It would also be a help to learn what members have as treatment plans to keep our collections looking healthy. :cac2:
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by CactusFanDan »

1. Fungus
2. Mealies
3. Scariad flies

I think i managed to remove mealies from my collection by removing effected plants and liberal sprayings of Imidocloprid. All pests are pretty foul if you ask me, though. KILL 'EM ALL!!! :twisted:
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Dave_S
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Dave_S »

Good idea Flavio....

Over the last 4 days (on and off) i've gone over my entire collection with Provado vine weevil killer2. Mixed at their recommended dose of 50ml per 1lt of water. Sprayed and used a small artists paint brush to dab any bad areas....all in all found about 60 with mealy :shock: ...All looking good now though :D

Dave
Lithops cultivars and Conophytums...Admin for Lithops U.K. on Facebook
A member of the MSG and the Echinopsis Hybrid Swap Circle (find us on Facebook)

AVATAR: Lithops verruculosa 'Rose of Texas'
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

According to the RHS "Several species of mealybug occur in greenhouses or on houseplants. These include Pseudococcus calceolariae, P. longispinus and Planococcus citri." http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/pro ... px?PID=201

The ones I have found on my Trichocaulon/Larryleachia are much smaller than those living on my Crassula ovata so I guess I have two species.....

tric_bug_3545 by aCactus2008, on Flickr

mealy_3593 by aCactus2008, on Flickr
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Having found the bugs and taken their picture next steps were

Physical removal

stage1_3596 by aCactus2008, on Flickr

Chemical warfare

stage2_3597 by aCactus2008, on Flickr

Scrub

stage3_3598 by aCactus2008, on Flickr
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Planococcus citri are considered the most common mealy in British greenhouses. They don't have noticeable tails. There are several almost identical species or varieties but the difference hardly matters to us. They are a pretty big species, up to perhaps 5mm if given a steady diet of cactus juice :roll:

Pseudococcus longispinus has tails as long or longer than its body. Other Pseudococcus species have shorter tails. P. calceolariae has two noticeable darker stripes on either side of the back half of its body although they may be hidden by the mealy coating. P. longispinus has a single less noticeable stripe. Another species present in Britain is P. viburni which has no stripes and tails around half the length of its body. They are all a similar size, maybe slightly smaller than Planococcus citri but not a lot of difference. Immature nymphs look very similar to an adult female but are much smaller.

Root mealies are Rhizoecus species and are generally quite a bit smaller, 2mm-3mm at most.
Cheshire, UK
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

1. Mites - I've stopped growing many mesemb genera (and even a regrettable brief flirtation with Chamaecereus long ago) because of mites.
2(a). Root mealy, tiny ones on Lithops.
2(b). Root mealy, bigger pinkish ones on Haworthia.
3. Sciara fly, only once on one H.truncata's roots, but once is enough :evil:

How about a thread about the most pest-free or pest-prone genera or families? I've never seen any pest on my Adromischus, of which I have many :grin:
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Lindsey

Earlier in this thread you should find some pictures of an Adromischus after some Vine weevil larvae had eaten most of the insides of the roots/stems. They only dined on one plant but they chose the largest :sad:
PeterW
Registered Guest

Post by PeterW »

Living in a frost free region of sunny Spain, my plants sit their whole lives ouside. If God waters them too much in winter the most precious shelter in a frame. I am mercifully free of pests, get a bit of winter rot sometimes, and sciarid fly hovers near any soil left uncovered indoors.
Once, after sowing some seed, I left the tray for a few minutes while I went for a plastic bag - I found a cockroach in the seed tray digging up and feasting on the seeds I had just sown. That mother got splatted. So maybe I can have COCKROACH added to the list !!
Bought my first cactus in 1957 - Now retired and growing Mexican desert cacti in the sun.