ELK 211

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Dirk Everaerd
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

ELK 211

Post by Dirk Everaerd »

Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ELK 211

Post by Ross M »

Wish I was there! But then again, the greenhouse has the 'Full up' sign displayed just now :lol:
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

derek harold
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by derek harold »

Full up? whats that, i thought i was but still came home with 75 plants. Today the headache set in( not for the first time, idont find ( E L K bad for my health ) it rejuvinates me even at 81. From Devon the drive is not so much to be looked foreward to though. :razz:
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Seems some members will be looking for bigger greenhouse(s) :) Bad, bad ELK :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

One things obvious from the mass propagation's shown there are no such things as rare cactus and succulents anymore, they all now seem to to be in plentiful supply! :grin:

DaveW :smile:
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Except, there are still way-away-from-cheap plants :) :(
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Jeff S
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Jeff S »

DaveW wrote:One things obvious from the mass propagation's shown there are no such things as rare cactus and succulents anymore, they all now seem to to be in plentiful supply!
Yes it does seem that more or less every species is available now, but I'm still having difficulty sourcing 10 inch diameter Ariocarpus though. :grin:
Jeff S
Coventry Branch since 1988
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Hi,
It's not really mass propogation, rather small amounts of propogation of a large number of plants, there wasn't all too much duplication from one seller to another.. I thought prices were cheap - the UK nurseries mostly left price labels unchanged so people paid the same price but in euros a 10% discount! There's always going to be a few high prices but there were far more low ones, Ariocarpus in most varieties at 5 euros or less and good sized plants though by the start on Saturday most of the best plants had been sold. If only it could be organised to the same standards as Havering Mart, with a fixed opening time. Anyone turning up at the supposed start time of 4pm on Friday would have found people had been allowed in to buy two hours earlier. If I had one moan - it would be about the large number of hidden grafts, plants on cut down Hylocereus and Pereskiopsis grafts where the grafts were buried. And one more moan - it's all over too soon, I'm sure the time goes faster in Belgium. I hear all rooms are already booked for next year.
Stuart - Plantlife
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ELK 2011

Post by Tina »

all rooms are already booked
we saw David on the saturday morning & had to book for 2012 as there were only 3 rooms left.
Still on the plus side it means I'm going next yr (tu) .
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.