Well hello there

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Brian
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Well hello there

Post by Brian »

Big welcome to the forum, Dan. I got hooked on cacti and succulents at about 16, many years ago. There is no end of great stuff here. For every question you may get six different answers as well!

I would strongly recommend joining BCSS too; £6 including badge is great value. Suggest you pluck up courage to get to local branch, either Manchester or Macclesfield. BCSS have an excellent quarterly journal which makes the subscription worthwhile on its own. Why not get along to the Mesemb event at Middleton on 8th October, details on the Manchester Branch Website you can link through from this forum? There is a good plant sale in April or May at Middleton too. You will drool over the plants available there.

If you want Selinicereus why not be adventurous and grow from seed? I assume you want to use it to graft onto. I have always been daunted by the prospect of growing from seed, having once attempted it many many years ago. I met Stan Griffin of Craig House Cactus at Chelsea Flower Show this year and he said anybody can grow Selenicereus Vagans. So I put my hand in my pocket and splashed out on a packet & instructions & wow ... couple of weeks later they germinated and 4 months later I have 20 plantlets over once inch tall.

The link to obtain seed is craighousecacti.co.uk/CHC SEEDLIST2011.pdf

Dare you to try!